PDA

View Full Version : bent tierod kfx

nosliw
08-07-2005, 07:11 PM
this weekend i bent up my right tierod pretty bad and need a new one. now, to get it off i just remove the cotter keys on each end, remove the nut on each end and take it off. once it's off i break the locknut loose, and count how many turns it takes to remove the ends from each side.
when i get a new tierod, i just screw the tierod ends into the shaft the exact amount of times it took to unscrew them from the old one, right? that it?

just making sure so when i do this tomorrow it goes quick and easy.

thanks

woodsZrider
08-07-2005, 07:51 PM
no, thats not right.....:confused:
just loosen the two nuts on the ends of the tierod and it will twist right off, then replace it and line up the front tire and then sung the nuts back up...

nosliw
08-07-2005, 07:56 PM
lol thanks man. boy was i off :confused: just a guess :blah:

sounds easy enough.

thomkat219
08-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Both of you are wrong. It may be bent so bad you can't unscrew it. If thats the case, you need to take one of the tie rod ends loose to get it to unscrew. Depending on which side it is, it may have left hand threads, which means it turns backwards. Loosen the lock nuts, and screw it off. You need to measure the side that is not bent, and make the replacement side that length. You also need to get a Ricky Stater or some other type heavy duty tie-rod, or you will be doing this chore more times that not. Before you tighten everything up, just snug the lock-nuts and ride down a straight stretch, you might need to do a little tweaking. You shouldn't be more than an 1/8 inch differance from side to side. If this is the case, something else is bent also. Thomkat

woodsZrider
08-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by thomkat219
Both of you are wrong. It may be bent so bad you can't unscrew it. If thats the case, you need to take one of the tie rod ends loose to get it to unscrew. Depending on which side it is, it may have left hand threads, which means it turns backwards. Loosen the lock nuts, and screw it off. You need to measure the side that is not bent, and make the replacement side that length. You also need to get a Ricky Stater or some other type heavy duty tie-rod, or you will be doing this chore more times that not. Before you tighten everything up, just snug the lock-nuts and ride down a straight stretch, you might need to do a little tweaking. You shouldn't be more than an 1/8 inch differance from side to side. If this is the case, something else is bent also. Thomkat

and which part of this don't match what i said:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:
he never said that it was bent bad enough so that it won't twist off.......:ermm:

nosliw
08-08-2005, 08:52 PM
it was bent pretty bad but not quite bad enough to where i couldnt turn it. ive got everything right i think, a total of about 3/8" toe-in. does this sound right? 3/16" on each side?

the old one was bent so bad it scarred up my new proarmor nerfbars in one spot :mad:

nosliw
08-08-2005, 08:54 PM
and also i WANTED to go with the stock ones. i dont want anything heavier duty, because then if i have a big wreck i'll have to be replacing more expensive stuff. i would rather have $9 tierods bend then the tierod ends or spindles.

it's like buying renthals, sure they are cool, but im keeping the stock ones as long as i can because i would rather have them bend than the steering stem.

RidrKFX
08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
i say just take it off and hammer it back to straight..i have done it a few times with mine and it works great.