PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Quesion

freeze_atv
08-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Over the past serveral weeks I have been considering buying an ATV and my local Honda dealer has suggested the TRX400ex. I am 6'2" around 300lbs. This will be my first ATV and it will be mostly used to follow my son around on the CRf70 but some of my friend have Raptors so I would like to keep up with them as well. Will the TRX400 work for me or should I consider a bigger ATV? Any advise would be helpful.

pr400ex
08-07-2005, 06:57 PM
If you are just putting around and following your soon i would look into the raptor 350. I had one and it was a awsome begginers quad and had plenty of power. The only way i would buy a 400ex is if you would buy the brand new one because of reverse.

DaleJrFan
08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
no matter what anyone tells you, buy what feels right for you. depending on your riding ability, buy a quad that fits your size and capability. the 400ex is a great all around bike but try riding a couple of different makes and see what fits you best. i am a die hard honda fan but they may not fit you best. my good buddy just bought a new z400 and they are really nice too.

freeze_atv
08-07-2005, 07:24 PM
although I currently don't own an ATv, I have ridden a few times and feel comfortable that I could handle a 400. Many of the dealers that I visisted suggested anything from the TRX 450, raptor 660, KFX700, and some 4x4's. The saleman tha I'm workin with was the first to suggest that a 400 would give me enough power to have some fun. They also carry Kawsaski and he admitted that the kawasaki was better out the door but the honda aftermarket products would be cheaper. The honda is also cheaper.

Tommy 17
08-07-2005, 08:16 PM
freeze at 6'2 300 a 400 may feel a lil cramped for u... i suggest u sit on one and see how it feels...

a polaris pedator, raptor, or z400 mayb a lil bit more comfortable...

any of them are fast enouf to still have plenty of fun... and all of them are pretty realiable... the 400exs are bullet proof thou...

basically what ever feels the most comfortable a is the best deal is what i'd buy...

huffdaddy_400EX
08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
I am 6'2 and weight about 240. When I got my EX I was about 300lbs as well. To me it felt fine. I did have "major" suspension issues (I would bottom out on some very small jumps). I upgraded the suspension to Elka's and it rides like a dream now.

If it's your first quad buy a used one and get used to it and save some $$$. If after a while you don't like the feel or fit sell it and get something else.

Anyone can tell you what to buy, but it's you that has to live with it. :D

freeze_atv
08-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Thanks for all of the input... I have located a 2004 400ex that I may buy from a dealer. my only concern was the frame had a rust spot on it and the previous owner had removed the silencer from the tailpipe. The dealer says they will stand behind the atv because they know their reputation is at stake.