PDA

View Full Version : Revers Jetting Than Most?

Pepto_Bismol
08-07-2005, 06:34 PM
I have spent more than 10 hours researching my jetting issue. (Yes, I've been to Gordons site too). You name it, I've been there.

Settings:

Big Gun Evo X Full Exhaust
Holes drilled in Air Box Lid (to simulate HRC)
Cut intake and drilled 3 way port (Open the R up on a budget)
Stock pilot
Dynojet Kit, Clip on #3 (needle)
Started with 175 Main.

Symptoms:

Good low to midrange (what I consider normal)
But 1/2 to WOT, the quad surges and sputters (cuts in and out).

Definition of lean and or rich seems to be close for my symptoms , So since everyone else seems to be running 175 to 185 main, I could have swore it was too lean.

Does not seem to be the case. I went up to a 180, and the symptoms remained. In fact, pulled the choke, and it got super bad, so then (from all indications), I thought it was too rich. Indeed, the spark plug had fluffy charcoal deposits.

Long story short went all the way down to a 165 main, and it runs great. No more throttle chop. (At 170 main, there is a slight hint of stutter on occasion, but totally disappears at 165)

I did 3 spark plug chop runs, and each time, the spark plug came out white as snow. No indication of overheating, and indeed, there is even a small rainbow film near the base of the ground strap indicating perfect timing (although I have absolutely NO carbon deposite ring at the bottom base of the porculian).

The only thing I can think of is that is it hot as hell here (Phoenix AZ, about 106 today, averageing 3000ft altitude), with a bit more humidity than usual. Both conditions add to thin air, meaning it is easy to "get rich quick". As a matter of fact, I performed a "correction factor" found here:

http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcy...01/carb101.html

And it seems like for my riding conditions, if I wanted to use a 175 main, corrected, would be about a 165 main.

The only bummer I have about it is that my freind, with the exact same setup, runs a 175 main, with no problems, And I see most ppl have at least 180 on here (even recommended for jetting with my setup).

Any information you might have will be helpful. (For example,anyone else running a smaller jet setting with NP?)

I am concerned about being too lean, but what can I say, it runs perfect now. Besides, going up or down a couple of jet sizes should put your quad in danger of detonation that soon, would it?

Thanks in advance.

It is a dynojet kit, so please include what type of hardware you are using too.

Pepto :cool:

Kilabanshee
08-07-2005, 09:38 PM
I heard alot of people have problems jetting in with the dynojets. Get #'s 180-185 keihn main jets and you should be right on.

mattonln
08-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Don't worry, i thought the same thing when i was running smaller jets than everyone else and was still a tad rich, i have the dynojet kit also, the thing is, the dynojets are bigger than the keihin jets hence why you have to put in the main jet adapter, so don't worry about the numbers, they are different than keihin.

Pepto_Bismol
08-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I do know there is a major difference i jet numbering between keihen and DJ.

The bummer part is is that when most ppl list thier setttings, they don't list the jet kit type.

I was just looking for other ppls opinions and experiece with their settings.

What trips me out the most is that my friend, with a DJ kit, and exact same setup runs a 175 main. Go figure.

Oh well, thanks!

Pepto:cool:

asdf450r
08-08-2005, 11:58 AM
165 is right under the bucket, my friend. i run the same

450rrider#55
08-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Your holes in your airbox are probably too small. It's not getting enough air flow to mix in with the amount of fuel that you are wanting to run. try taking your airbox cover off and put in a 180 or 185 and run the crap out of it. that will tell you if your not getting enough air. I was running a 172 without the lid and it ran great. I put in a stage one hotcam and now am running a 195. probably would have been better with a 190 but the dealer didn't have one. either way 165 is not that low. I have heard of people running 162 with no problems.

Punk'd
08-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Well I run a Sparks with lid off and a 185main. So id guess around a 180 for you.

450 Racer R
08-10-2005, 05:36 PM
keihn 168 main, hrc needle on 3rd clip. TC exhaust, HC2 cam, K&N, no lid. Runs great, maybe a tad on the rich side.