PDA

View Full Version : Draining on 400ex

Blink
08-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi everybody, does anyone know a website for 400ex oil change?

DaleJrFan
08-07-2005, 07:36 AM
this is the best one on the web, do a search under powertrain, this has been posted 1000 times. what do you need to know?

VA400EX
08-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Look under the "Articles" clicky at the top of the page. You will find a lot of useful info like a 400EX oil change:

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html

FoxRacing81
08-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I know theres a link and all, but I'm real bored...so I am going to type it out...

You'll need a small, long funnel, some rags, a pan to catch the oil, 3 Quarts of oil (sometimes I can get away with 2 quarts, some times it'll need 3....I grab 3 just incase), New oil filter, some anti-seize, 12mm socket, 14mm socket, 8mm socket, rachet, and about an 8in rachet extension.

1.) Locate the 12mm bolt near on shifter side of your engine. It is directly behind your shifter. It sticks out from the block. Loosen and remove the bolt making sure you don't loosen the o-ring and let the oil drain. Inspect the o ring and bolt for damage. Apply some anti-seize to the bolt. Not required, but it doesn't hurt. Put the bolt back in. I believe the manual says to torque this bolt, I just like to go easy on the rachet until it stops, then give it a 1/4 turn and be done because I do not have a torque wrench that goes that low on the torque settings.

2.) Locate the 14mm bolt underneath the oil tank. Remove the bolt and let the oil drain into the pan. Inspect the bolt for damaged threads, then apply some anti-seize to it also. Again, not nessacary, but it doesn't hurt. Better safe then sorry. After all the oil has drained, put the bolt back in. Again, I just like to go easy with the rachet until teh bolt gets tight, then do a 1/4 to 1/2 turn so its good.

3.)Locate the oil filter cover on the brake pedal side of the motor. Remove the 2 8mm bolts, the oil filter cover, and the oil filter. Let the oil completely drain. Inspect the 2 bolts for any thread damage and the seal on the filter cover for any damage. After the oil is done draining, take a rag and wipe the inside where the oil filter sits to make sure it's clean. Install the new oil filter. (Watch the way your old oil filter comes out.) Reinstall the oil filter cover, and slowly go back and forth tightening the 2 bolts. Make sure when you tighten these down that you do not go too far and stripped these out. It's happened to me before and it isn't fun.

4.) Take off the dipstick on your oil tank. Make sure you don't loose the o-ring that is on it. Wipe the dipstick clean with a rag and set it down. Place the funnel into the dipstick hole. Slowly pour the oil down the funnel (if you go too fast, the oil will rise and come out around the hole) (Another way I have heard people doing it is using the funnel like cap that is on the top of Lucas Oil stabilizer and other things like that and putting it on there bottle of oil. It is small enough to fit right into the small hole so you can let it flow faster. I would do this, however, the hole for the cap on the oil I use is bigger then funnel cap one.)

5.) Pour 1 quart, then after you get past 3/4s of the next one, start watching the funnel to see when the oil tank is full. Put the dipstick back in, and start the motor. Let it run for about 5-8mins until it is warmed up. While you are waiting, check for leaks around both oil drain bolts and the oil filter cover. After she is warmed up, shut it off and check the oil. Add if needed, and warm it up again and recheck.

6.) Step back and admire your work. You've just changed the oil on your 400ex. This would be the most appropriate time to have a beverage, do more maintence on your machine, or go for a spin.

-Justin

Blink
08-08-2005, 02:15 AM
ok thank you very much everybody:)