PDA

View Full Version : Been away for a long time and have questions (416 and Clutch)

kaneman23
08-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Hello to everyone. It's been a long time since I've visited these forums or rode my 400EX... I bought a 416 kit from someone a looong time ago which consisted of piston, cams, gaskets, and etc... I have a few questions about the installation:

- How much do I need to have the sleeve bored?
- Is this a difficult or time consuming project?
- Will the stock clutch hold up?

I've also got a new factory clutch that I need to install...

- Anyone remember how many discs I'm supposed to have?
- Any other clutch parts that I should replace?

Does 4punksdad still visit the boards? I would like to meet up with him again one of these days for a trail ride.

I'm sure I'm going to have a lot more...

JOEX
08-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Welcome back:)

I can only help a little....

Take your piston with the cylinder when you get it bored so the shop can match them correctly and have the proper clearance.

Putting it together isn't too difficult. Having an extra set of hands can be good when sliding the cylinder over the piston but I did mine by myself.

Not sure about the clutch but the HD springs are nice;)

Stock set up is 7 friction plates.

They recommend replacing the lock nut that holds the clutch assembly together. And gaskets of course.

4Punks (actually he's 5punks now:p ) pops in every once in a while but I belive he hangs out at cannondaleriders.com.

kaneman23
08-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Welcome back:)

I can only help a little....

Take your piston with the cylinder when you get it bored so the shop can match them correctly and have the proper clearance.

Putting it together isn't too difficult. Having an extra set of hands can be good when sliding the cylinder over the piston but I did mine by myself.

Not sure about the clutch but the HD springs are nice;)

Stock set up is 7 friction plates.

They recommend replacing the lock nut that holds the clutch assembly together. And gaskets of course.

4Punks (actually he's 5punks now:p ) pops in every once in a while but I belive he hangs out at cannondaleriders.com.

Thanks JoeX. I appreciate the help. This sight has always been full of great info. I still have to order the bolts and springs. All I have are the gaskets and plates.