PDA

View Full Version : No start situation

Screamin440
08-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Okay guys, I'm kinda lost now. My 440 was having a real bad off idle stumble when it got really hot and really humid. If I stabbed the throttle quickly it would stumble but if I slowly rolled into the throttle and then pinned it, it would clean out and rev up cleanly.

I went out to start it up about two weeks ago and it wouldn't start for anything. I could get it running for about 2 or 3 seconds and then it would die and that happened about three times. In all I spent about a half hour trying to get it started.

Well, I figured it was running rich considering that it was jetted in the winter time and it was dead on then. So I yanked it apart and moved the needle clip up one position to try and lean it out some.

I've got it all back together and I still have a no start problem. I've got good blue spark and I know it's getting fuel. This thing has never really given me any problems as far as starting since I bought it last September.

Any suggestions or tips that might get be pointed in the right direction?

BTW, it's a stock carb with the choke removed.

Edit: I just put a new plug in it b/c the old one was fouled. It still won't start.

Screamin440
08-08-2005, 06:39 PM
*bump* Anyone?

TC426EX
08-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Go down a jet size or 2 man. The needle probably wasnt a significant enough change to compensate between winter and summer jetting. Sounds like the carb is loading up if you get a sputter or bog, then by rolling the throttle slowly, the float gets cleared out to normal. Plus, you fouled a plug, and that rarely happens on 4 strokes. Sounds like youre still running too rich

Screamin440
08-08-2005, 09:23 PM
It still won't hold an idle though and that has nothing to do with the main jet. Is it possible I have dirt in the idle jet and that is what's causing it to not stay running at idle and/or not start?

zeppelin
08-12-2005, 05:27 PM
its defintetly possible that some of the jetts are clogged, since youve put the new plug in has it fouled, what does it look like?, is your airfilter clean?, did it ever start with the 400 kit, or have you taken it appart scnce it last started up?

Screamin440
08-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I pulled the fouled plug after the starting problem. I got the new plug in and it won't start back up now. The motor has been together since I've had it last fall. This is the first time it's ever had any trouble. I cleaned the K&N about 2 rides ago.

zeppelin
08-12-2005, 10:00 PM
what does the plg look like now, do you have compression :confused: this is a toughy is there anything else that you know that could help us

Screamin440
08-13-2005, 07:48 AM
There's no color to the plug because it won't run. I've got great compression, I'm getting hit with exhaust pulse 2 feet from the exhaust tip. I pulled the plug and sprayed some carb cleaner in the cylinder. It ran for about 2 seconds after that and then it quit.

zeppelin
08-13-2005, 07:53 AM
i dont think your getting any fuel, if you were since it hasnt started it would made your plug wet and black. you also said that it ran with the carb cleaner so i definetly think your arent getting any or enough fuel, clean your carb and see if that helps