PDA

View Full Version : mx with welded frame

trict_out
08-06-2005, 10:28 AM
i plan on getting into mx soon and i found a nice 250r but it has a crack by the gear shift that has been welded and pc'ed over. Will it be ok for mx or do i need to have a welder brace it? Also it has stock shocks as of now but i would get aftermarket before i raced it.

SixthFloorFreak
08-06-2005, 10:49 AM
unless the thing is absolutely dirt cheap, pass it up. there are multitudes of nice 250r's on the market, many with aftermarket frames that go for peanuts. not worth it IMO to buy a ratty R

trict_out
08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Its not ratty though this is the only thing about the r that worries me. It has new plastic graphics, new topend, bored .40 over, new clutch, new pc job i'm just worried about that frame breakin in half on me in the middle of a race.

Mxjunkie
08-06-2005, 11:01 AM
its not going to break your frame in half, all your frame is are welds, almost 35% of frames are welds. I broke my xr100's frame right by the neck and we tig welded it back togather and I rode hard for about a year before I got rid of it and not a thing happened to it.

trict_out
08-06-2005, 05:16 PM
anyone else have imput?

Pappy
08-06-2005, 05:27 PM
very few 250r stock frames are roaming the planet that havent had a crack repaired or have cracks and the owner doesnt even know it. if it was a simple crack and was welded and shows no further signs of cracking since it was coated then i wouldnt fear running the quad thru anything or over anything.

your running a risk with any stock R frame, these things arent spring chickens and even "barely ridden" r's will have metal fatigue and internal frame tube rust. if you are jumping HUGE then yes i would think twice before doing it on any stock frame including the early year 400ex's. they are now approaching 4 and 5 years old and ive seen some so rusted they could indeed "snap".

if you like the quad, buy it and ride the snot out of it. if it happens to break fix it!

trict_out
08-06-2005, 05:39 PM
thanks pappy

Martin Blair
08-06-2005, 05:46 PM
if it was re weleded and shows no mors igns of cranking, i would go for it, evenually you will need a new from for the 250r anyway.

insaneracin2003
08-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
very few 250r stock frames are roaming the planet that havent had a crack repaired or have cracks and the owner doesnt even know it. if it was a simple crack and was welded and shows no further signs of cracking since it was coated then i wouldnt fear running the quad thru anything or over anything.

your running a risk with any stock R frame, these things arent spring chickens and even "barely ridden" r's will have metal fatigue and internal frame tube rust. if you are jumping HUGE then yes i would think twice before doing it on any stock frame including the early year 400ex's. they are now approaching 4 and 5 years old and ive seen some so rusted they could indeed "snap".

if you like the quad, buy it and ride the snot out of it. if it happens to break fix it!
Thats what im talking about,,,welcome back Pappy....:macho