PDA

View Full Version : bleeding front brakes

J25
08-05-2005, 01:44 PM
me and my buddy are having a really hard time bleeding his front brakes.... we pump them, and then crack the bleeder but nothing comes out, not even fluid.. what are we doin wrong?

kyleschonert
08-05-2005, 01:50 PM
go to autozone and ask for a brake bleeder kit and read the instructions. And make sure to have a bunch of fluid on hand and make sure the rezzie is filled at all times. And be patient it takes a while.

jhoppa
08-06-2005, 10:39 AM
did you take the master cylinder cover off?

I use a vaccum pump (mityvac) and do a reverse bleed, push the fluid up to the master cylinder. This way you are working with gravity and not against. (Air bubbles are lighter than the fluid, so they end up coming out of the master cylinder)

400exrider707
08-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah I had the same problem. Did you disconnect the line from the calipers by any chance? The will not bleed until you put some fluid right into the calipers, and I dont understand why, but mine did that exact thing. Take the bleeder right off of the calipers and pour a little fluid down in there and then try bleeding again. Works like a charm.

CannondaleRider
08-07-2005, 02:33 AM
The way i've been doing it lately makes it extremely simple.

1. Get a syringe, with a couple inch long hose(I had the right size vacuum hose laying around)
2. Take the master cylinder cap off
3. Fill the syringe with the brake fluid
4. Connect the syringe to one of the calipers.
5. Loosen the bleeder and start pushing the fluid into the caliper.
6. Just close the bleeder and refill the syringe when needed
7. Keep doing this until nothing but fluid comes into the master cylinder.
8. Do the same to the other caliper
9. When you get the end of this process, you may have to start taking the fluid out of the cylinder(with the syringe)
10. Using #9, just cycle the fluid through a few times.
11. Pump the brakes a few times to be absolutely sure they are bled
12. Put the cap on and ride!!!

This technique has worked great for me, and has always been a surefire way to get ALL the air out

450RGNCC
08-08-2005, 10:34 AM
make sure that the bleeder fitting does not have dirt in it, I had to take one off and clean it out.

J25
08-09-2005, 05:30 PM
alright thanks for all the help, were goin to try again this weekend, i apreciate the help