PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything that can short out a CDI Box? or make a CDI box go bad?

cbennett86250r
08-05-2005, 10:50 AM
After getting a cdi box on ebay, and sending it back because it was for the wrong year, and then ordering from service honda, a month later i finally get a new CDI box that works. The bike fires up, and idles really high, i think it was idling high because it was flooded, anyways.. it finally idled down.. but was smoking VERY heavily.. THAT was because it had a full tank of gas, and all the oil had settled to the bottom.so i let it run for a little bit.. decided all o fit wasnt going to burn out.. tried draining the gas and oil completely out.. got about half of it out.. started it up.. it ran for a little bit, and then just quit.

Now i have no fire.

i duno

the headlight comes on.. so im guessing the stater is ok..
the only thing i havent checked yet is the coil, but its a brand new $300 excel coil.

is there something that may have fried my cdi?
Any help would be appreciated!

bwamos
08-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Did you try a fresh plug?? If you were smoking for a long time.. and were running rich as well.. you most likley fouled out your plug.

cbennett86250r
08-05-2005, 01:54 PM
lol oh yeah.. it fouled 2 plugs before i decided to just try and drain it all out.. im using BR7ES NGK plugs

Do you think it could be possible to have a short somewhere? a short that could be frying my cdi box?
I dont know much about the wiring on it, thats why im wondering.. thanks.

JTRtrx250r
08-06-2005, 12:06 PM
when a CDI box goes bad, they just go bad and nuttin' you can do but replace it

Try freezing it, then plug it into the system real quick and see it it makes any diffrence. The Cold makes all the connections contract, and sometimes it'll work till it "thaws" so to speak

Just a cheezy lil trick to help find out if its the CDI box , nothing set in stone... but does somewhat help diagnose

I heard 1 of these guys put his buddies 400ex cdi box on, thats another way to see if you have a pal w/ a 400ex... or another R

Aallron
08-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Underneath the flywheel there are two seperate systems that generate electrical current, one for lights and one for ignition. It is possible that your ignition coil windings are bad but you lighing coil windings are ok.