PDA

View Full Version : 440 owners!

400exrider707
08-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Ok Im starting my research for a 440 kit. I'm ordering some heavy duty studs from GT Thunder, and I have a few questions about the install. (I've tried calling GT myself but the line always seems to be busy). First off, when you drill and tap the holes for the new studs, should the threads be running into the back side of the sleeve? Cause it looks like its going to do that if you drill it any bigger. Secondly my friend had suggested putting heli-coils in to hold the studs, but there obviously isn't enough room for the heli-coils to even go in if its that close to the sleeve. Is this why heli-coils aren't used? Too close? Thanks guys.

K_Fulk
08-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I should have took some pictures when I put the motor I did last night together.

The Sleeve lip will need to be grinded away, and will be threaded somewhat when you put them in on the short studs.

Try emailing laz

TC426EX
08-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I dont reccomend heli coils. I had them at first to try to save loot on HD studs and still had head gasket problems. So definitely do the studs. As Kyle said, email Laz, he is usually good at getting back to everyone within a day or 2. Also try calling him later in the business day since he is usually very busy during the rest of the time.

I installed my own studs as well with a bridgeport, but mine are ECATV and not GT Thunder. The threading is different on them and Im not sure if the diameter is as well. In any event, the sleeve lip does need to be grinded away. Good luck

400exrider707
08-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Ok thanks for the replies guys. yeah I wasn't planning on doing the heli-coil cause I dont think they will fit in there. What exactly do you mean the sleeve lip needs to be grinded away? Anyone have a pic to explain this?

K_Fulk
08-06-2005, 07:45 AM
It might be kinda hard to see since the sleeve is aluminum. But the lip of the sleeve is grinded so I could instad my head studs and cylinder bolts.

400exrider707
08-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Are those stock head studs in that pic? So what your saying is that the top surface there needs to be grinded down a little bit? What purpose does this serve?

K_Fulk
08-06-2005, 04:21 PM
There stock studs but there helicoiled. You just need to grind it enough to get it to start threading in.

400exrider707
08-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Ok so basically the sleeve needs to be drilled into for the stud installation. So when your drilling your holes out you need to drill into part of the sleeve? Im still kind of confused on this subject! Does this cause any reliability issues with the studs touching the cylinder? It just doesn't seem right having them that close to the piston.

400exrider707
08-07-2005, 10:59 AM
OH!!! Ok I think I figured it out now. The lip that actually holds the sleeve UP in the cylinder needs to be grinded away in the stud holes so the studs can be threaded in. Ok. Thanks guys. Anything else I should know before I dive into this.........

K_Fulk
08-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Glad to see yougot it figured it out. Just make sure you put them in strait, and the right depth.

400exrider707
08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
My buddy is doing it for me at work where he has access to all of the machines to do it correctly. Thans K-Fulk