PDA

View Full Version : 250r problems

400exr
08-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Ok, so my Buddy just got himself a new 86 250r. Him or myself have never delt with a 250r before, this is the first we've seen. So, now there are two problems with this bike. First off, he fired the thing up for the first time and took her for hard 5 min ride. When he got back there where sparks flying out the exhaust!and when you would look down the end the whole silencer was glowing cherry red inside :eek: Would this be caused because the jetting is too lean?? The pipe is a paul turner pipe. The second thing that dosent seem to be right is the clutch. After his hard 5 min ride he came to a stop infront of me and tried to start away again, but when it was in gear and he disengaged the clutch it would just roll ahead a bit and then sit there like it was in neutral. He said is shifted fine when he was ridding it. If anyone could give us some advice in these problems I would be very very greatfull!! Thank you

Tom TRX250R
08-05-2005, 12:55 AM
First off tell your buddy he made a good choice on a quad!!! Once he gets it dialed in he'll like it better than any four stroke!!!!
To answer the first question I would buy several larger main jets to fix the problem of it running lean. Do a plug chop until the spark plug is a brownish color.( Run it hard for a few minutes at WOT and then shut it off and check the plug) To me it sounds like the clutch is worn out but could be adjusted wrong. My clutch was doing the same thing before I had to replace it as far as seeming to run fine but once I tried putting it into neutral it was a problem. Also it would roll forward a bit if in gear. Try playing with both the adjustment on the handlebars by the lever and also with the adjustment right above the shifter. If that does not help then you may have to replace the clutch and/or clutch basket.

400exr
08-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
First off tell your buddy he made a good choice on a quad!!! Once he gets it dialed in he'll like it better than any four stroke!!!!
To answer the first question I would buy several larger main jets to fix the problem of it running lean. Do a plug chop until the spark plug is a brownish color.( Run it hard for a few minutes at WOT and then shut it off and check the plug) To me it sounds like the clutch is worn out but could be adjusted wrong. My clutch was doing the same thing before I had to replace it as far as seeming to run fine but once I tried putting it into neutral it was a problem. Also it would roll forward a bit if in gear. Try playing with both the adjustment on the handlebars by the lever and also with the adjustment right above the shifter. If that does not help then you may have to replace the clutch and/or clutch basket.

Thanks for the reply! Ya your right, he already thinks it is the greatest! We'll try getting some larger main jets and we'll also do the plug chop (I've done it lots to my 400 to dial it in) I'm pretty it's the clutch, but we'll have to take off the cover and have a look at it. Any more suggestions would be great! Thank you again

zedicus00
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
yeah it sounds like yur clutch is worn out. get the 89 update kit, a billet clutch basket, and new stock clutch plates. and iether stock springs or barnet

wilkin250r
08-05-2005, 04:59 PM
I'll just echo what zedicus said. 89 clutch update is cheap, like $60, and it's a good investement. If you can afford it, a billet clutch basket is stronger and better than the stock unit, especially if your stock one is worn out.

Brand new stock Honda clutch plates are the best, better than the aftermarket clutch plates.

400exr
08-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Where is the best place to get the 89' clutch update kit??

dynofox
08-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Cal ATV is where I bought my 89 update from. Don't just do high rpm plug checks, do low and mid rpm as well.

08-05-2005, 09:37 PM
This might be a stupid comment but sparks flying out the exhaust, you did mix the gas with 2 stroke oil right?

stever250r
08-06-2005, 09:17 AM
I would also just out of curiousity.. check the packing in the silencer.. You never know what someone might have packed in there to try and quiet the quad down or make a quick sell.

JTRtrx250r
08-06-2005, 12:00 PM
tyhe sparks were most likely hot carbon or burnt silencer packing(unless hes losing his lower rod bearing)

Definitly sounds lean if hes glowing the core, piss-winding out and logging roads will get ya if your not carefull,

Tell him to invest in a few mainjets;)

400exr
08-06-2005, 06:08 PM
hahaha, ya we put two stroke oil in with the gas:D This isn't the first two stroke we've had, It's just the first 250R. I took the carb apart yesterday and found out shes got a 145 main jet in there. What is the stock main?? It's got a K&N with no airbox lid and a Paul Turner pipe. I was also told that it is on it's second overbore. I'm more than positive that it is running too lean! We're going to check the packing too, who knows how it looks. Thanks for the replys guys!!

250r4life
08-06-2005, 11:05 PM
145 sounds pretty dang small to me... i'm not sure at what climate youre at, but down at the dunes (glamis) i ran like a 162 at stock bore, and when i go up in the mountains i'm still in the 150s... 145 seems pretty small

JTRtrx250r
08-07-2005, 12:44 PM
yeah, haha... that 145 sure sounds pretty lean!