PDA

View Full Version : brake in

racin richard
08-04-2005, 09:11 PM
i have a 440 ex that i need to brake in and i didn't know if i should run the piston and then put the cam or do it at the same time.

450robot
08-04-2005, 09:16 PM
put in all the parts your gonna use in at the same time, so they all have the same wear time properties

and when you break in, remember, dont go easy, ride it hard and go through all the gears, at various rpms, but just dont hammer or lug it around, be smooth, but tuff

greg_gorrell
08-04-2005, 09:21 PM
exactly....i always start it up and let it idle for a few minutes then let it cool a bit and run it through the full rpm range. but i can tell you that everyone has their own opinion on how to do it. but definately put the came in at the same time.

08-04-2005, 09:30 PM
i always baby it through a full tank of gas, good luck to you guys they beat the $h!t out of it in break in, hope it works out for you

450robot
08-04-2005, 10:04 PM
you have it all worng, i dont beat the hell out of my new motor, i just make sure i run it through all the gears at different rpms

if you baby your motor during break in, your rings dont seat as well, and you have more chances of getting a pass through effect were some oil is burned by passing the rings and getting into the combustion chamber

08-04-2005, 10:13 PM
yeah i dont let it idle or nothig when i break it in, but some guys on here think the only way to break it in is to beat the piss out of it

400exrider707
08-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
yeah i dont let it idle or nothig when i break it in, but some guys on here think the only way to break it in is to beat the piss out of it

I ran mine hard and its holding up awesome and now have almost an entire season of MX and SX on it.

MotoX3
08-04-2005, 10:30 PM
dont baby it.....and dont run the piss out of it....keep it just below the power for a tank or two....should be good:D

racin richard
08-05-2005, 08:39 AM
thanks guys!!!

greg_gorrell
08-05-2005, 10:14 PM
yeah by all means do not hammer on it...i know its hard with all that new power you got but it has to be taken easy for awhile but during breakin make sure you hit all through the rpm range. just dont over do it.

JRP
08-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by 450robot
put in all the parts your gonna use in at the same time, so they all have the same wear time properties

and when you break in, remember, dont go easy, ride it hard and go through all the gears, at various rpms, but just dont hammer or lug it around, be smooth, but tuff

agreed all the way. thats how i broke in my new 450r and i beat my friends 450r that he babied it when he broke it in.(were about the same)