PDA

View Full Version : Hinson Clutch Basket

B@ckBoneBelgium
06-04-2002, 08:52 AM
Hello ,

I am not stupid if it comes to mechanic , but I was wondering if I get new clutch plates & springs , should I get the basket also ? If You say I should get it , why should I change to that Hinson Racing basket ? What are the advantages & could somebody explain the working of the clutch ?

Please help me , because I live in Belgium and here they know nothing about ATV's :(:grr

Tnx ,

Kenny

06-04-2002, 09:10 AM
Yes get the basket too and hinson baskets are hardened to make them last longer than say stock baskets. There also designed to flow oil better for cooling,,you can't go wrong with hinson products. Your best bet which alot of people really like on 400ex's is running hinson basket and 8 stock plate setup from a CR250 dirtbike. Go out to sparks racing and read up on his clutch setups for the 400ex,,here's a link for ya..http://www.sparksracing.com

06-04-2002, 09:28 AM
yeah what he said!!! The CR fiber plates have more surface area on them to create more friction to make the clutch grip better. Can't remember off the top of my head but the clutch works by the inner hub having grooves in it fot the steel plates to fit into and the basket having grooves for the fiber plates to fit in. when you pull your clutch lever it pulls the plates apart the spinning of the inner hub does not turn the basket. when you let out on the clutch the springs push the plates together and the power that is being produced to the inner hub is then transfered to the basket which intern provides power to the transmition. So the more plates with more friction and stronger springs means you are going to get a more positive power tranfer to you rear wheels or something like that.