PDA

View Full Version : messed up clutch cable (maybe)

nosliw
08-04-2005, 04:13 PM
so i just get done with a long ride, park my 400ex, rest, come back out, pull the clutch in the start and the clutch make a funny sound like the tension was high and popped and it's nothing but 'play' until your about 3/8-1/2" away from the grip.
i adjusted it all the way out back to normal and it works fine. do these things often pop way out of adjustment like that? everything looked fine on the handlebar locknut and everything the same with the place near the clutch. i figured maybe it stretched and frayed all of a sudden and still held together?
just wondering if this has happened to anyone before, i'll be going to the bikeshop for a new cable if is something wrong with the cable.

is there anyway i can check the condition of the actual cable? can that rubber sleeve it's in be removed?

thanks

ps-
i rode with it like that for a couple hours after it happened. if it was frayed wouldnt it take no more than a minute or two to completely snap?

plkmonster2
08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
The only way to check the cable is to cut off one of the lead ends, and pull it through. Make sure That one of the ends didn't slip partly off the cable. Also, you make have not had the cable in the groove on the perch.

nosliw
08-04-2005, 04:22 PM
nah it's in the perch fine- it still works now. no adjustment though.

so basically i have to ruin the cable to make sure it's good? well, i think it's time i get a new cable anyway (hard clutchpull).

thanks. just needed the motivation to get my *** in gear and spend some $$$:blah:

eslride1
08-04-2005, 05:04 PM
yeah i think thats a good sign the cable is about to go

plkmonster2
08-04-2005, 05:23 PM
It could go anytime, and you could be screwed, maybe. The brake cable on my 200 broke all the strands except 1, and it still worked, but I decided to replace the cables anyway. It felt really sticky, and lubing it didn't help. I cut it, and it was all frayed, and rusted. It's only like 13 bucks for a new one from service honda.

2004exrider
08-04-2005, 06:02 PM
yep, its your cable. same thing happened to me about 2 mnths ago. it will frey and then all the sudden stretch. i think i paid like $12-$15 for it.

Jimmy
ps. i took my cable off and pulled it out a little bit, and it was freyed where it mounted up to the perch from rubbing on the little chrome nipple on the end of the cable housing.

nosliw
08-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by plkmonster2
It could go anytime, and you could be screwed, maybe. The brake cable on my 200 broke all the strands except 1, and it still worked, but I decided to replace the cables anyway. It felt really sticky, and lubing it didn't help. I cut it, and it was all frayed, and rusted. It's only like 13 bucks for a new one from service honda.

i bought a new one, installed it, and took apart my old one. exactly what you said, like one and a half strands holding it together. i paid about 13 bucks for mine too.

thanks bud

DaleJrFan
08-05-2005, 03:53 PM
i was pinned 3rd gear going up a 75 ft dune last weekend when my cable broke, i flew about 60 ft, scared the hell out of me. this is the 3rd cable in a year, i am just rough on them i guess.

plkmonster2
08-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Lube them with chain lube, adn they will last forever. I still have my stocker from 99, and it works flawlessly.