PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to have a shop re-ring me?

400exstud
08-04-2005, 09:55 AM
I think that my rings my be going (it runs great but it puffs out smoke). The rings themselves should be like 35-40 bucks but how much should the install cost?:ermm:

08-04-2005, 10:32 AM
40 bucks for rings is crazy, but before i would buy any thing , take the cilinder off and make sure you dont have any scoring, if you do your gunna have to bore it and youll need bigger rings

Chino886
08-04-2005, 10:50 AM
If you are going to keep the same piston you could re-ring yourself, piece of cake. I agree with YZFMXER, check the cylinder first. You'll also want to hone your cylinder with new rings.

TC426EX
08-04-2005, 11:41 AM
rings are simple, and I wouldnt waste 60 bucks an hour for a jackazz at a shop to do it. Easy to do yourself, if you need help just do a search, make a new thread about it, or PM me...

bigvforcer
08-04-2005, 05:05 PM
When is it blowing smoke? If it only happens at start up, the likely hood that your rings are bad is realy low. The majority of the time when it smokes at start up it means you have bad valve stem seals. When you replace your seals I highly recommend a valve job done by a competent machine shop or mechanic. I also recommend you port and polish the head if you have not done so already.