PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for when buying a 250R

R'Fanatic
06-03-2002, 10:21 PM
OK this settles it I have got my mind set on a 250R. As soon as I sell my blaster I will buy one. What are thing to look for? Most 250Rs around here go for 3500$ with a few mods or none. I am not looking to spend anymore than 3600$ on one. Should I test ride it before I buy it to make sure it runs correctly and help would be nice.

06-03-2002, 11:00 PM
ahh..lets seeeeee...cracks in the frame....cracked case saver mounts...ahhh...motor rus..ahh..i can tierd..i'll come back tomorrow with more.

Rastus
06-04-2002, 02:46 PM
You want to look at the guy sellin it to you, and know him fairly well. You want to look for cracks in the frame, over-all quality,and make sure it runs good.if it needs little stuff, like brakes, i wouldnt worry about it,look for anything that looks odd, or out of place.You might want to look for one that has jsut been rebuilt, and they have the receipts to show you.

Dave400ex
06-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Most important I would say is the Frame. Ask if it has been Raced. If it has chances are it`s been beat pretty good. Check the Cases, Motor Performance, Steering Stem, all places that have Bearings, Axle, and more.

300exazzkikr
06-04-2002, 06:31 PM
especially look for cracks around the steering stem, foot pegs, swingarm, and the shock mounts. thats where they happen the most. Make sure it hasn't been bored out too many times or else you'll be buying a new cylinder when you blow it up. It happens. Those are the main things, then you can check the bearings, if you can ride on pavement and see if any wheels wobble, if they do then something is probably bent could be the rim, axle, bearing, etc... Hope this helps.

dariusld
06-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Take the air filter off and make sure its clean inside. When you kick it over make sure its smooth and doesn't miss or skip. When you pull in the clutch and put it in gear see if the motor stalls or jerks like you werent pulling in the clutch at all. Check the rear sag. See if the back shock is leaking.

airheadedduner
06-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Check for cracks around the swingarm bolt. Find out the last time swingarm bearings have been serviced. Make sure the headstay is not missing. Check the air filter, it is a good indicator on how well the bike was taken care of. and of course ride it first if possible.