PDA

View Full Version : Bending Tie Rods

4HUN
06-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Hey all, long time reader just finally decided to register. Got a problem with my 400. I have bent 4 tie rods in the past year. Just this Sunday, out the track, I bent it the worst yet. It really ruined my afternoon. I have never read anything about anyone else on this site going through them as much as I do. I really dont care, considering they are only 10 dollars, but it is pretty annoying changing them all the time. I guess it is time to invest in some a-arms with a nice set of tie rods. I will post a pic for the **** of it tommorow ( It seems everyone here likes to see pics).

400exredrider
06-03-2002, 10:19 PM
hmm yeah sounds odd yeah we like pics!

tprender
06-04-2002, 06:30 AM
by a set of 250R tie rods and you will almost never bend them. They are the same length, but a little bigger in diameter. They come from Japan, so the cost is going to be more and they are made I think of better steel also. This is the fix if you have stock a-arms.

06-04-2002, 08:14 AM
By laegers tie rod they are extra big and super duper stong.

86atc250r
06-04-2002, 08:43 AM
The problem with stronger tie rods is your quad has aluminum steering knuckles. 250Rs have steel.

While this makes them trick looking and light weight - it also makes them weaker than 250R knuckles.

The stock tie rod acts as a "fuse" - you hit something hard, and the $3 tie rod bends instead of breaking the $100 steering knuckle. Guys at Honda are pretty smart, eh...

Do as I do, buy a bag full of stock tie rods from Honda and keep them in your truck - you might also be able to help out a friend or someone else in need out on the trail as well.

Also, the cheapest, stronger tie rods I've seen are the 250R version. I can buy about seven 400EX tie rods for what one 250R rod will cost. Aftermarket rods are even more.

Really it's a pretty minor expense - last year you went thru less than $15 in tie rods. That's half as much as *ONE* 250R tie rod would cost you.

spincr4hire
06-04-2002, 10:08 AM
4HUN,
I just bent a tie rod as well...
just order a bunch from Service Honda, only $4.50 each.
Like 86atc250r said, its better to bend the tie rod than some
of the other alternatives.:devil

BadA$$440
06-04-2002, 10:26 AM
Hey 4HUN, where in Florida do you live? I live in Cape Coral. Do you go to the FTR races?

4HUN
06-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Here's the pics I promised (If anyone really cares!).....lol. I just ordered 3 through ServiceHonda today ($21).

Hey Bad*****440, I live up in Gainesville. I just moved here from Ohio in January. I just got my quad and my truck down here from Ohio about a week ago. Ive just been out this past Sunday to Showtime MX park in Waldo. It is brand new, and pretty nice. So far that is the only time I've rode here yet. I hope to get me tie rods this weekend so I can go again. I am definetly up for meeting some people to ride with if anyone is from around here let me know.

4HUN
06-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Just another angle...

BadA$$440
06-04-2002, 08:31 PM
How did you manaage to bend them? It looks like what ever you did must have hurt.

400exredrider
06-04-2002, 09:02 PM
hmm that is truely odd:confused:

4HUN
06-04-2002, 10:36 PM
The tie rod bent on about a 35 foot double that I had been hitting all day. I did not nose dive or anything , It just bent. It sucked, I just started a new lap and had to limp the rest of the way around with both wheels chucked outwards. It was not fun. At least I got a good morning of riding in before it happened.. . . . . . . . . . . .

86atc250r
06-05-2002, 07:17 AM
A 35' double?!?

I've hit jumps in excess of 80' with mine numerous times and jumps in excess of 100' in the sand without any tie rod trouble...

Either that tierod was weakened from being previously bent or you have your wheels flipped, spacers, or something else putting a lot of undue stress on the front end.

Bending tie rods landing jumps is not a normal condition - something else is wrong.

4HUN
06-05-2002, 11:10 AM
I know a35 foot double is nothing. I am NOT saying it is. That is just what happened. It is very possible it got bent on another jump and that double just finished it off. I hit almost everything on the track (75' tabletop, 50'double, 60' tabletop, etc.) so possibly it got weakened on something else. Out of all the tierods I have gone through this is the first one that bent on a track. But I have only gone to tracks prior to this so I couldnt of bent it in the woods first. Plus I rode all morning with no problems. I have no reason to lie, that is what happened, it is very odd.......

4HUN
06-05-2002, 11:12 AM
By the way, no wheels flipped, or spacers, just an offset ( I think they are +1) set of douglas .190's with a set of holeshots.

86atc250r
06-05-2002, 11:28 AM
No need to get defensive - I wasn't calling you a liar - just saying that bending a tie rod is not normal for a 35' jump....

Something else must have happened that weakened it. We've seen a lot of bent tie rods from people using wide offsets or reversed wheels - and of course, hitting stationary objects...

4HUN
06-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Sorry 86atc250r, nothing intended. Probaly sounded worst than I meant. Have a good one.

Pro400EXC
06-06-2002, 12:21 AM
yo 4HUN,where where you at dude Gatorback? if so,that place is awsome.

Also,did you try the "watertower" i ehar everyone talking about it,and how hard it is.

Its about time we get more FL boyz in here,maybe we can hook up and ride soemtime guys.

Thks HammerHeads,
Pro

4HUN
06-06-2002, 11:25 AM
Hey Pro400EXC, Never been to Gatorback. I just moved to Gainesville and heard alot about it but it is supposedly not open for anyone other than pros. I have just gone to that new place in Waldo called Showtime. It is pretty nice.

toby400ex
10-07-2002, 03:37 PM
hey does anyone know where i can get some aluminum -1" wheels i bent both my tie rods yesterday racing a harescramble and i hear -1" offset is the way to go around here(missouri harescrambles).

Pro400EXC
10-07-2002, 05:15 PM
Hey Bro,what you lookin for is 4:1 offset rims (4in inside, 1 in out-side) what this does is puts less leverage on the spindles and all....Just go to www.douglaswheel.com and check em out...

10-07-2002, 05:19 PM
hey man mine were bent just like that, i just bent them back today till my new ones come. i was going for a 40 some foot triple and nose dived, i also need new plastic. i had a sick hole in my knee, i could see the knee cap- it was awesome

ridered86
10-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
they are extra big and super duper stong.

what are you talking about?:eek:

wyndzer
10-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Call Scott at Pro Fab ATV and get some of there stainless steel Gorilla tie rods. They look good, and will not bend.pro fab atv (http://www.profabatv.com)

86atc250r
10-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Hey Toby - did you race the HGP at Highlandville yesterday?

Anyhow, these guys are probably right, sounds like you are looking for 4/1 wheels.

However, they won't do as much as the offset implies. The 4/1 offset is really only about 3/8" narrower on each side than stock.

What this will do is of course narrow you up a tad, although on a 300EX this shouldn't be a problem.

The other affect it will have is it will slightly lower the amount of feedback you get in the handlebars.

If you are racing GP's or scrambles, you should look into a steering damper if you haven't already.

Stick with stock tie rods - they bend for a reason, safety being one important one.

Another thing to keep in mine if you are racing is to never straighten a bent tie rod, always replace. It will come back to bite you, most likely when you're leading your class at a race. Tie rods that have been straightened are far more likely to bend when they shouldn't.

I've hit some stuff very hard with my stock tie rods without bending them, and when I have bent them, I was really glad that something gave.

zzbudzz
10-07-2002, 07:50 PM
i just bent my first tie rod last weekend ,and yes i flipped my front rims .the track was muddy as h*ll!i went up on a step up and come down on the front wheels and wow!front tires are pointing in different directions.mmmmm so after a little hissy fit :rolleyes: i took it off and bent it back .then rode two motos and finished 3rd.so i think i'll just buy a couple sets just in case.

Castor-426ex
10-07-2002, 07:56 PM
bent is an understatement ...thats the first one ive seen screwed that bad....you sure you just didnt fall asleep in the middle of an 80 footer??lol

toby400ex
10-07-2002, 08:13 PM
well i heard the only prob with using 250r tie rods is on the 400ex's. The knuckle is aluminum instead of steel so the knuckle would then break first but the 300ex has steel like the 250r. And i am slightly wider than a stock 400ex right now cuz i got 400ex front a-arms and shocks, and i think the width of my razors and douglas wheels make it a bit wider for some reason. So i think i will still get the 250r tie rods and the offset wheels but what are the other wheels you are talkin aboot. maybe ill add a oic later of hhow bad it is.:devil :mad:

toby400ex
10-07-2002, 08:15 PM
and yes i did race the hillbilly gp yesterday, it was my first race ever and it was a blast until the beginning of the third lap when i turned into no more than a good burm for the pros to use, some of you guys should try the hillbillygp, if i can drive 4-5 hours to do it i think some of you can also. here is the webpage www.hillbillygp.com

OutlawEX
10-08-2002, 05:48 PM
Get a hold of neal at CFM-performance@yahoo.com he has some alsome tierods that he makes,they are as good as any aftermartket out there if not better