PDA

View Full Version : HIPERS...worth it?

fasterthanyouex
08-03-2005, 07:34 PM
i am running Razor 2 all around...and looking for a new set of rims? i am looking for bead lock..well the question i am asking is are hiper rims really worth it.i dont know a price on how much they are..if sombodys know can you inform me.Thanks I plan on running XC and runnign a MX track very few times if at all. Are aluminum better for XC.Are there really any advantages over alminum then weight? Thanks again

450robot
08-03-2005, 08:32 PM
they are about $70 more each than a beadlock, and from what ive heard and seen, they are the last rim you will ever need to buy! they never bend, and they are incredibly light, so if you have the money, do it!

08-03-2005, 09:25 PM
that all depends...do you wanna buy an aluminum rim...then keep replacing them...or buy a hiper and never have to do anything ever again

just ask yourself...do you want the best rim on the market (hiper), or a rim not even close to it

common sence question if you ask me :macho

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-04-2005, 02:01 PM
if you have the money to spend hipers are the way to go, like was said should be the last set of rims you buy, if you don't have the cash look into burgard beadlocks, they are less expensive than itp and douglas beadlocks.

cdalejef
08-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Hipers are actually cheaper than the Douglas and ITP top end beadlocks!

Curless #32
08-07-2005, 12:24 PM
I have them and they take a beating like no other! I've been hit square in the front and not a wobble yet.

pr400ex
08-07-2005, 12:58 PM
i have a set of rear hipers true beadlocks i will sell for 400

JRP
08-07-2005, 06:48 PM
yea if i had the money i would deffinatley buy them.

hardkoratvmxr
08-07-2005, 08:28 PM
heck yea they are worth it

Ride1Rob
08-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by pr400ex
i have a set of rear hipers true beadlocks i will sell for 400

You can get them on e-bay for $360 new. I wanted to get a set bad. But a friend of mine told me, "If they're that good, why don't many of the top riders run w/ them:confused: " Sponsorship commitments w/ other brands??? I settled on some some ITP's instead.

08-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
You can get them on e-bay for $360 new. I wanted to get a set bad. But a friend of mine told me, "If they're that good, why don't many of the top riders run w/ them:confused: " Sponsorship commitments w/ other brands??? I settled on some some ITP's instead.

borich runs them, so does smiley, along with derisi, and many others the reason is because ballance and them have huge deals with douglas because they r such a huge company and have been around a lot longer, hiper truely makes the best rim on the market, if you dont believe it, try them for yourself, you will never have to buy another rim again, also if hiper wasnt so good, y does borich only use 2 sets of rims all year long (differant tires for each set), while ballance has to switch his every race ;)

venom3223
08-11-2005, 08:02 PM
hipers are great but i have seen them break before

CannondaleRider
08-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by venom3223

Douglas and ITP are great and i've seen them bend A LOT more then Hipers break

Pappy
08-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by venom3223

ive been on this site for almost 5 years, ive traveled to so many races ive lost count and i honestly dont remeber ever seeing a hiper rim broken. i have on the other hand seen almost every type of aluminum beadlock destroyed. can a hiper be broken? surely it can, but your chances of it happening are located somewhere between slim and none.

hipers are probaly the last rim you will ever purchase and thats not an over exagerated statement.

the question is ...do you need hipers? most riders dont, but atleast we as consumers have the oppertunity to buy something that will in all likelyhood outlast the quad we install them on!

fasterthanyouex
08-11-2005, 08:55 PM
yeah i was just curious what makes them so good...like pappy said "do i need them" when i get the money they be mine...i want to make my quad a XC quad bescause next year i will be 16 and i will be running races more...

08-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by fasterthanyouex
yeah i was just curious what makes them so good...like pappy said "do i need them" when i get the money they be mine...i want to make my quad a XC quad bescause next year i will be 16 and i will be running races more...

i ran my aluminum wheels for about 4 races in the MHSC and smashed 1 so bad i couldnt use it, bought hipers, they are awsome...i will never buy another rim again...and it depends on how competitive you want to be on if u need them...do u want to take the chance of ruining an aluminum rim or do you want to have the garuntee of having your rims work the whole race

duke416ex
08-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob

A whole set for 360? If you can get a whole set on ebay for that I'm gettin em.

08-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
A whole set for 360? If you can get a whole set on ebay for that I'm gettin em.

he meant 2 wheels

bwamos
08-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
ive been on this site for almost 5 years, ive traveled to so many races ive lost count and i honestly dont remeber ever seeing a hiper rim broken. i have on the other hand seen almost every type of aluminum beadlock destroyed. can a hiper be broken? surely it can, but your chances of it happening are located somewhere between slim and none.

hipers are probaly the last rim you will ever purchase and thats not an over exagerated statement.

the question is ...do you need hipers? most riders dont, but atleast we as consumers have the oppertunity to buy something that will in all likelyhood outlast the quad we install them on!

He may have been talking about the bad batch of larger 9x9 hiper rears that had the flaw in the center hub. Those were all recalled and replaced free of charge.

Other than that group of isolated wheels, the hipers are nearly indestructible.

Even with that batch, I'm sure the limited breaks were over exagerated, as most things in the online world become. ;)

kfxwizzard400
08-27-2005, 12:02 PM
well since one of mine pritty much shattered i cant reccomend them

Pappy
08-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by kfxwizzard400
well since one of mine pritty much shattered i cant reccomend them

your going to have to post pictures of the rim and possibly a suggestion of why they "shattered" before too many folks take a notion to outright buy your statement.

anything can and will break ofcourse, but this i would have to see and get the background on.

Jingle #11
08-27-2005, 05:10 PM
ive seen a broken hiper before. I really cant justify spending that much money on wheels.

prepracing
08-27-2005, 06:01 PM
the only problem I have seen with them is that they have cracked around the inserts where the ring bolts on, but in all cases hyper took care of that by replacing the wheels for the customer. They are strong and low maintenance, don't have to worry about trying to keep the "bling" shining. I have douglas shamrock beadlocks and they are great but I would trade them in a minute for a set of hypers

Pappy
08-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Jingle #11
ive seen a broken hiper before. I really cant justify spending that much money on wheels.

im sure alot of riders are in the same position, however there are beadlocks on the market that are more expensive then the hiper rim.

mikeB
08-28-2005, 07:57 AM
If you had extra money to buy the hipers the id say go ahead adn buy them, but other than that i wouldn't.. there nice but expencive

Ruby Soho
08-28-2005, 08:10 AM
go for some used ones. that are in good shape

dopeyferree
08-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Hipers are not really more expensive, Yes they are more than maybe the cheapest beadlocks out there but they are right in line with ITP and Douglas Top of the line beadlocks

Douglas Shamrock Beadlock 10 by 5, 4+1 offset, 4/156 Bolt Pattern
$209.00

Douglas Shamrock Center Beadlock rear wheel 9 by 8 4/115 Bolt Pattern
$194.99

ITP Beadlock Wheels 9x9 3+6 offset 4/115 Bolt Pattern
$199.95

Hiper Front and rear beadlocks are cheaper that the Douglas and ITP bead locks at $175 front and $191 rear.

Plus you can customize them with colored rings to make them match.

fastrider450r
08-28-2005, 04:35 PM
the only time i've ever heard of a hiper breaking was at the Wisp GNCC (of course) and we were parked beside Shawn Neidlinger and his dad said that he had broke one of his hipers i didnt see it because he had to be towed out. but i think hipers are the best wheels out their today!

fastrider450r
08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
anyone else?

cals400ex
08-29-2005, 11:02 PM
the one question i have is:

are the hipers built as straight as a metal can be made? when i rode bicycles years ago the mag wheels were never as straight as the metal ones and i was told they couldn't be made as straight. but who knows? i need the straightest wheels possible. i have actually never bent a metal one, so i am pretty easy on my bike. but for dragging, a wheel that is just a little off balance can really slow you down, especially in the upper gears. i realize the tires are never perfect, many are far from it that i have used. for some to pull straight on a road or wheelie you would need twice the pressure in one tire as you do in the other tire.

08-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the one question i have is:

are the hipers built as straight as a metal can be made? when i rode bicycles years ago the mag wheels were never as straight as the metal ones and i was told they couldn't be made as straight. but who knows? i need the straightest wheels possible. i have actually never bent a metal one, so i am pretty easy on my bike. but for dragging, a wheel that is just a little off balance can really slow you down, especially in the upper gears. i realize the tires are never perfect, many are far from it that i have used. for some to pull straight on a road or wheelie you would need twice the pressure in one tire as you do in the other tire.

technically hiper wheels should be perfectly ballanced throughout

08-30-2005, 09:07 PM
i know a race team in the 6 hour race at rausch last year strip one of the integrated hubs and ended their race. i think the jury is still out on these things, at least in my book........

toby400ex
09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Why are you buying beadlocks for drag raciong? You could use the cheapest thinnest wheel you want for drag racing.

benbuilt4u
09-13-2005, 07:02 PM
just bought a set and these things are indestructable. better than any aluminium wheel!

bwamos
09-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Why are you buying beadlocks for drag raciong? You could use the cheapest thinnest wheel you want for drag racing.

Exactly what I was thinking.. lol.
For drag racing you want Douglas Blue Label rims (lightened) with 2-Ply tires. A beadlock shouldn't even be an option. He should want as little rotating mass as possible.

And, if he's worried about spinning the rim inside the tire.. (assuming hes got nitrous on a Rotax 900+ and running around 275hp), you'd just glue the bead to the rim.

cals400ex
09-14-2005, 01:00 PM
well i don't always drag race. i do a lot of messing around on tracks and typical jumps. i would like stock strength rims with reduced weight. a balanced wheel is really important to me though.

benbuilt4u
09-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
well i don't always drag race. i do a lot of messing around on tracks and typical jumps. i would like stock strength rims with reduced weight. a balanced wheel is really important to me though.

i balance all my freinds wheels on my high speed tire balancer works great for 10in fronts. its very hard to do the rears.

muff
09-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by lerch
i know a race team in the 6 hour race at rausch last year strip one of the integrated hubs and ended their race. i think the jury is still out on these things, at least in my book........

While this is true, and I have seen it before (only after having the hub nut come loose several times before), this is only with the older models (prior to this spring and sooner). They now have a steel insert in the center and the chances of stripping one of those would be the same as with a stock hub....

Needless to say I won't run anything but a hiper.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/pedb98a1140b057e577bb39f0dfbdabed/f4fe218b.jpg

kd5sfq
09-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Below is what I found in the news a few months ago... I was interested in buying some about that time... I even called HiPer and talked with a tech... He told me something the kept me from buying them... Their wheels don't always work well with LoneStar axles becuase of the way the splines are cut by LS... But I was only interested in the integrated hub/rime set up....

July 5, 2005
HiPer Technology is recalling about 875 9-inch ATV wheels with aluminum center sections. The aluminum center section of the wheel can come apart causing the tire and rim to unexpectedly separate from the ATV, posing a risk of serious injury if the rider loses control of the vehicle.

HiPer has 12 reports of wheel center section breakage and separation.

The recalled 9-inch ATV aftermarket rear wheels have a model number of 0990 YHR. The rear wheels were manufactured from February 15, 2005 through May 2005. The recalled wheel can be used as the rear wheel on ATVs having the following bolt patterns: four bolts on a 110mm circle or four bolts on a 115mm circle. The center section of the wheel is made of aluminum and has eight bolt holes.

ATV dealers and HiPer Technology sold the wheels from February 2005 through May 2005 for about $190.

Consumers should immediately stop using the 9-inch ATV wheels and contact HiPer Technology to receive a replacement wheel center section and or wheel repair, free of charge. Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact HiPer Technology at (877) 464-4737 anytime or visit the firm’s Web site at www.hiper-technology.com

The recall is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

benbuilt4u
09-15-2005, 07:21 PM
get a durablue ;)

09-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by kd5sfq
Below is what I found in the news a few months ago... I was interested in buying some about that time... I even called HiPer and talked with a tech... He told me something the kept me from buying them... Their wheels don't always work well with LoneStar axles becuase of the way the splines are cut by LS... But I was only interested in the integrated hub/rime set up....

the reason their wheels dont fit lonestar axles is lonestars fault, not hipers, lonestar has bad quality control and tries to run the same tools on their machine for 2 long to try to save money, making the splines be more off and off each time, if you find a good LS axle it will fit, my friend has one that fits, but u may have to keep returning them until u get a good 1

09-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by kd5sfq
July 5, 2005
HiPer Technology is recalling about 875 9-inch ATV wheels with aluminum center sections. The aluminum center section of the wheel can come apart causing the tire and rim to unexpectedly separate from the ATV, posing a risk of serious injury if the rider loses control of the vehicle.

HiPer has 12 reports of wheel center section breakage and separation.

The recalled 9-inch ATV aftermarket rear wheels have a model number of 0990 YHR. The rear wheels were manufactured from February 15, 2005 through May 2005. The recalled wheel can be used as the rear wheel on ATVs having the following bolt patterns: four bolts on a 110mm circle or four bolts on a 115mm circle. The center section of the wheel is made of aluminum and has eight bolt holes.

ATV dealers and HiPer Technology sold the wheels from February 2005 through May 2005 for about $190.

Consumers should immediately stop using the 9-inch ATV wheels and contact HiPer Technology to receive a replacement wheel center section and or wheel repair, free of charge. Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact HiPer Technology at (877) 464-4737 anytime or visit the firm’s Web site at www.hiper-technology.com

The recall is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

the reason this defect took place was because of a design flaw when designing the new center section, the machine misread directions and changed something that it shouldnt have changed, hiper (being a great company with great support for their riders), quickly jumped into this replacing everyones center sections who had bought the wheels, i even made a trip to the gncc race to west virginia with them to change out center sections, they made even more trips to gnc races and more gncc races after this to help out riders who had bought their wheels, this problem is now completely fixed and there is nothing to worry about, hiper wheels are by far the strongest wheels on the market, and the last wheel you would ever need to buy, and they fully stand behind their product

trx400exxracer
09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I had a friend by a whole set for $700 if it weren't for sponsorships I think all the pros would be runnin hipers

benbuilt4u
09-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
I had a friend by a whole set for $700 if it weren't for sponsorships I think all the pros would be runnin hipers

my set was 650 shipped to my door!

bradley300
09-17-2005, 08:39 PM
the best thing about hipers is its a 3 peice wheel, so if you break one, you can replce the part thats broke instead of the whole wheel