PDA

View Full Version : could it be done? ram air

enduro400rider
08-03-2005, 06:48 PM
i was just lookin at my motor today and i was thinkin would it be possible to take the head off and turn it around to the carb is in front of the bike so you could make a ram air devise. i know youd have to turn the piston around and get a custom exaust but other than that is it possible? i dont think i do it but it was just an idea

08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
anything is possible with enough time and money, the biggest probleb i see would be the cam chain wouldnt be on the right side, and you,d probably need to make new engine mounts to push your motor bake a little, but i dont think all the time and money you put into it would be worth it, did you think of trying a turbo instead

enduro400rider
08-03-2005, 07:02 PM
yeah i never thought of the timing chain, yeah id like a turbo but i dont got the $1200+ for one. it was just a thought that mabe some one could make a ram air for a quad. probably wouldnt make that much more power any way

greg_gorrell
08-03-2005, 08:19 PM
well you also have to think about your carburation and air filtering. i think it would be a waste of time actually...

jhoppa
08-03-2005, 08:34 PM
A guy did some calculations doing this on a 125cc shifter kart. All the calculations determined the shifter kart would have to be going over 180+ mph in order for the RAM air to be effective. Top speed on a shifter is about 125mph.

I would think the same calculations would apply for a ATV. Probably around the same speed until it is effective.

www.ekartingnews.com in the forum section if you are interested in finding out the formulas for this.