PDA

View Full Version : New Z400 Nothing to Write Home About!!!!!!!!

2qk4u
06-03-2002, 09:58 PM
Well Fellows, had my first encounter this weekend at the dunes with a z400 which I was hoping to have. First of all i headed out to the dunes and seen a z400 sitting on the side of where everyone drag races and so i thought i would stop to talk to the guy and ask him how he likes it and if he has raced anyone with it yet. well he replies i sure have and it happend to be a couple of 400ex's he raced and said he beat them. So i thought well maybe these thing do run good. So I said how about lining up against mine and he said sure thing. so we went out there to line them up and got all ready and the race was on. I got him out of the hole by 2 bike lengths and was 2 1/2-3 bike lengths ahead of him at the finish line. So I thought i would give him the benefit of the dout and give him another shot in case he felt cheated so we did and results were the same and the start both times was dead on together. So not to be bragging or anything but i thought my 400 did really good up against the bike that is hot on the market now. I still would'nt mind taking one for a spin just to see how it really feels, but for now iam for sure to keep the 400 (Honda).

Ride Safe

New-400ex_guy
06-04-2002, 01:02 AM
well i hope you beat a stock Z400 with all the mods you have, you should be pushing more horses and torque. :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :p :D :huh :huh

Pro400EXC
06-04-2002, 01:47 AM
What do you mean all the mods he has? Wow a 14t sproket and stock bore 11:1 piston, woooweee big whoop.

CranMan
06-04-2002, 05:57 AM
Yeah he's got some mods, but still it's good to see he could hang or even beat the Z400. By the way a friend who'd ridden just about every type of quad, including highly modded race machines, said don't buy a Z400, it wasn't as fast as he was expecting. It's tempting, but I'll stick with my paid for, proven reliable, good ol' 416!!!

New-400ex_guy
06-04-2002, 03:03 PM
"What do you mean all the mods he has? Wow a 14t sproket and stock bore 11:1 piston, woooweee big whoop."

:huh :huh

hmm lets see a z400 has stock 33hp with the mods 2qk4u
listed he is pulling probly just a little more than that. so it would come down to the better rider and weight of each rider.

:rolleyes:

there both good quads and pretty even if the 400ex is not stock.

JustRace
06-04-2002, 05:26 PM
I have to get my saying in here too. He does have enough mods to make a big difference in the dunes. Probably the biggest would be the 14t sprocket. The Z400 is still and awesome quad.

250EXcited
06-04-2002, 08:31 PM
2qk4u,

I looked for you this weekend but no luck. I can only say that I've yet to be beaten by a stock EX. The Z against a modified EX (pipe, header, airbox mods, jetting) is usually a really good race. My experience so far against modified Ex's is whoever wins the holeshot, wins the race. I did see 2 or 3 other Z's this weekend. The one I saw at the drag strip was about a 10 year old kid. Maybe I'll see ya there next time.

2qk4u
06-04-2002, 09:00 PM
250EXicted,

I looked for you too and no luck of course. the 400z i raced was an older guy. i would definitly like to race another z400 so hopefully the next time you go to the dunes i will be able to go also. I actually got to meet Generalg from here at the dunes Saturday. we were parked right beside the little parts shop on the south side and he came walking up to me and asked if i was from wichita and asked if i went to exriders and i said yeh. thought that was really neat being able to meet someone in a big place like that. so let me know the next time you go and we will plan on hooking up better.

later

250EXcited
06-04-2002, 09:21 PM
2qk4u,

PM me next time your going. BTW some people might consider me an older guy (40). LOL:D

2qk4u
06-04-2002, 09:39 PM
I know it wasnt you i raced though. this guy said he has only owned a 300ex i think. will do on the next time i go riding. when are you planning on taking another trip there? how far do you live from there also Im about 2 1/2 -3 hours

250EXcited
06-04-2002, 09:44 PM
It's a 4 hour trip for me. I live south of Tulsa. I know I'll be back in the Fall. A group of about 10-15 of us always go during the school break in October. I'd like to go before then though, except for that summer heat.

generalg
06-04-2002, 09:45 PM
Ya it was fun! 2qk4u I had looked for you all morning long, good thing I remembered you said you would be driving a red Jeep Cherokee. To bad we could not have met earlier in the day and rode longer. All I can say is 2qk4u's 400ex is fast for the slight mods he has done to it. He beat my R in a couple of drags! Of course my R is basically stock with the exception of the pipe, but still. I ended up leaving around 7:30pm on Saturday as I was just to tired to ride anymore. Next time I go I will take my 400ex to take on some Z's. I will PM you when I go back down to the sand, probably won't be until this fall, or maybe a quick trip to ride all night long when it would not be so hot. My email address is grants@hcweb.net. Shoot me an email when you go?
Any chance you have a picture of the R that was sitting next to you in the camps? I would love have that picture.

Later

2qk4u
06-04-2002, 09:50 PM
hey that sounds great. we all will have to hook up and go again. thanks for the compliment on the bike. i really like how it runs also. i will keep in touch with you and we will go down to the dunes and smack on a few z400 for *****s and giggles. also yeh i have a couple pics for you. i will send them to you.

later

2qk4u
06-04-2002, 09:50 PM
another

250EXcited
06-04-2002, 09:52 PM
There's a good chance 2qk4u would beat my Z too. I raced a couple of stock 250R's 2 weeks ago and it was neck and neck all the way. I still love the Z though.

generalg
06-04-2002, 09:57 PM
GREAT! THANKS! 250EXcited, I believe you have the same attitude as I do. Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you have fun!

2qk4u
06-04-2002, 09:57 PM
yeh there a nice looking bike. someday hopefully i will get the oppurtunity to ride one. Its about time suzuki did something huh? hope you enjoy your bike. im sure you will. did the exhaust and filter help your 250ex after you put it on?

2qk4u
06-04-2002, 10:01 PM
thats all im out to do is to have fun also. im not going to sink a butt load of money in mine, just want it to run decent. as you can tell i didnt go with the 440 kits or anything.

twisted threads
06-05-2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by 2qk4u
thats all im out to do is to have fun also. im not going to sink a butt load of money in mine, just want it to run decent. as you can tell i didnt go with the 440 kits or anything.

LoL thats what I said.:D :D

Chris400extreme
06-05-2002, 08:05 AM
i raced a z oon my buddies raptor i borrowed this weekend and i must say it does run nicely. i want to race one on my 500ex when i get it back. maybe i can post a message on here when i go back to little sahara after i get it back together. then all of the exriders can see each other face to face. anyone interest in going in about a month just leave a post for me or e-mail me if you wanna go and see a modded 500ex stroker. My e-mail is BIGBADC210@aol.com . if you have already seen a 500ex i would like to hear somehting about it before i get mine all back together.

later everyone,
chris #22 yellow ex:devil

250EXcited
06-05-2002, 02:50 PM
I agree, I'm in this for the FUN!! Although winning is always more fun than losing. I do enjoy drag racing even when I lose. Last weekend I only raced once. It was against a modified Raptor. He beat me by probably 4 lengths or more, but I'll be back for more next time I'm there. BTW , the mods really helped the low end on the 250EX. It's for sale now too. The wife wants a 400 Scrambler.

06-06-2002, 08:26 AM
when you lined up against the Z400 didnt you notice he was facing the other way!! he was racing you in reverse...let him turn it around and race you for real !!! HAHAHAHA

2qk4u
06-09-2002, 10:28 AM
your toooooooooo funny smokin400. i guess i was just 2qk4him

coryatver
06-10-2002, 09:38 AM
The new kawasaki is going to smoke the z400! the green plastic makes it go 20 mph faster!
http://www.atvnews.com/

stevengates45
07-05-2002, 06:29 PM
I havent seen a z run yet but I have seen a DS650 at the river. Everybody started drag racin each other & the ds pulled away from all the raptors & 400s, didnt ahve that well of a driver on it neither! Honda needs to hurry up & get a new bigger & badder bike out!

07-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by New-400ex_guy

hmm lets see a z400 has stock 33hp with the mods 2qk4u
listed he is pulling probly just a little more than that

I'd be lucky to have a little more than 33 HP with my setup..:blah Sounds like there's a lot of hype to the Z400's that's not holding ground.:rolleyes:

07-14-2002, 12:27 PM
i test drove both a 400ex and a Z400 yesterday. and i am compleatly unbiased. honestly the 400ex did have better suspension and felt more under controle. but it took me 7 minuts to start it and about 10 minuts to let it warm up (this was in 85 degree weather) i own a 250R right now and expected alot from the ex, i was very dissapointed it was very slow. it felt the same as my piped warrior if not less powerful. i was kinda sad when i got off the ex then i got onto the z400 and everything changed the z had just been put togeather and noone had ridden it yet , it started up on the first hit of the starter button. it warmed up within 2 mins after that i was in for a ride. the suspension felt a bit stiff in the front but i like it that way so i was happy. this thing has incredible torque i had to remember not to hit the throttle hard so i wouldnt weelie. dont get me wrong the machine is perfectly balanced it just has lots of torque. it def. reved alot higher than an ex and had a much broder powerbnand. i def. had more fun on the z than the ex and i am going to buy one asap. if anyone else were to test a z they would see where im comming from
,nate

Deathbringer
07-30-2002, 12:57 AM
"but it took me 7 minuts to start it and about 10 minuts to let it warm up (this was in 85 degree weather)"

OMG that is the funniest thing I have ever heard..
10 mins to warm up.. what are you smoking buddy, not saying that is not what you did...but trust me, that bike was hot and ready to go WAY before 10 mins.
We were just at the dunes this past weekend and it was 69 degree weather and both bikes started on the first push of the button, and mine had not been started or riden for a week..
400ex are cold blooded but if you have a good battery they will start very quickly. And no it does not rev higher...around 8000 is its cut out also..Nuf said

twisted threads
07-30-2002, 01:15 AM
I would agree with Deathbringer on this one and say your doing something very wrong. I can let my Ex sit for weeks or even months and all you half to do is pump the gas three times and hit the starter and it will fire up and It dont take 10 mins to get hot.

Crazy4bluEx
07-30-2002, 02:35 AM
whut they both said....^^^

but 10 mins is alil bit over doing something isnt it??
i mean something was either really wrong, or you dont have any clue about how a quad is supposed to run. Because if i go outside take my quad out of the shed, even when its snowing...
i can start it..... on choke, hold the gas about 1/2 throttle for about 10 seconds then it will idle, by the time i have my helment, boots an gloves on it is ready to go...

*K*

08-05-2002, 02:20 PM
I love Hondas and will always be a red rider but Honda really has to step up to the plate and come out with something like the Z or raptor, the only reason i got the Z is the power difference and the fact that it has reverse and is liquid cooled, hopefully for 2004 Honda will make a four wheeler that can compete with the quads that are out now:D

freakystone
08-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Ok... I guess someone hasnt really ridden one very much. One part of me would like to see it have more power. But compared to a 400EX it has a lot more power. The suspension is iffy but a lot of people go with after market anyway. The handling is superb. Yes, Suzuki copied Honda's engineering. Smart on Suzuki's part. The fenders look strange. It makes it look taller than it is. The yellow is too bright/pastel. The motor has serious mod potential compared to an EX. It has great power in low, mid and high. The hit is kind of reminisent of two strokes. Ride one. It doesnt have the top speed of a Raptor. Or the instant bang of a Dale but for the average rider looking for a good mix, it is the best.

Castor-426ex
08-13-2002, 10:11 AM
im tired of all these people talking about how much power it has..
i think the bottem end is weak..it has a good mid range..and top end needs a little...I mean im sure its a great quad..ive rode two of them so far..and raced against them too...Im sure a pipe makes a lot of difference and so might the rider...but I have seen nothing to impress me besides a new victim...

to each their own...i havent been smoked by one yet...and I dont see it happening in the near future..

happy riding