PDA

View Full Version : what does gif and jpg mean

blastereatin250
08-03-2005, 01:29 PM
When I am trying to put on an avater It says it's not a valid gif or jpg. What does this mean and what do I do to fix it?

FoxRacing81
08-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Gif and JPEG are types of image files.

You can change the picture you want to use to a GIF or JPEG by using Microsoft Paint if you want to.

blastereatin250
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
ok, so do I just save it in a different file?

harescrambles
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
gift is a moving picture. jpeg is not

blastereatin250
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
I says that it is not valid though.

08-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by harescrambles
gift is a moving picture. jpeg is not

look, dont give out bad info.. if you have no idea wtf your talkin about then keep your mouth shut..

a .GIF not gift is a file extention that you can put mutliple images into to make one, to make it animated, but not all gifs are animated, gifs have color restrictions, and can be transparent.

a .jpg has no color restrictions and one of the most popular image format other than tiff's or png's or bmp's

Jesse

Atkins
08-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Save all your larger images as .jpg, and smaller ones as .gif, thats what i do. I try to steer away from .bmp because of the large filesizes except when theres alot of text.... .jpg distorts text i believe.

blastereatin250
08-03-2005, 02:31 PM
<----------------:) Thank you

MOFO
08-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by harescrambles

LMFAO!

We have a tough guy....

Ridin' Jesse
08-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
LMFAO!

We have a tough guy....

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! :p

FasstMidnightZ
08-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
look, dont give out bad info.. if you have no idea wtf your talkin about then keep your mouth shut..

a .GIF not gift is a file extention that you can put mutliple images into to make one, to make it animated, but not all gifs are animated, gifs have color restrictions, and can be transparent.

a .jpg has no color restrictions and one of the most popular image format other than tiff's or png's or bmp's

Jesse wow, that was kinda harsh, I think he was just tryin to help the kid out 'a bit. Which i mean he basically said what a GIF. is. Most of the time u see a GIF. file its gonna be moving.

wilkin250r
08-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Harsh as it may be, it was perfectly accurate. I think it's great advice. If you don't know what you're talking about, then don't.

This goes far beyond just image files to ANYTHING. Especially on a forum website such as this, that people come to for information. So many people want to appear smart, or look like they know what they're talking about. Even those that just want to be helpful, by posting bad info you do the exact OPPOSITE of what you're trying to accomplish. You don't help, and it also makes you look like an idiot.

Bad info is much worse than no info at all.

08-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Harsh as it may be, it was perfectly accurate. I think it's great advice. If you don't know what you're talking about, then don't.

This goes far beyond just image files to ANYTHING. Especially on a forum website such as this, that people come to for information. So many people want to appear smart, or look like they know what they're talking about. Even those that just want to be helpful, by posting bad info you do the exact OPPOSITE of what you're trying to accomplish. You don't help, and it also makes you look like an idiot.

Bad info is much worse than no info at all.

yea what he said..

and btw.. i think jack nicolson said it best in a few good men

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH..

people, stop sugar coating things, and get right to the point, cut to the chase, dont beat around the bush.. speak your mind, with no regrets, just make sure your info is CORRECT and ACCURATE.

and as for the trailer trash pfft.. maybe you should say that to your buddy over there that thinks GIFS are called GIFTS lol..

on a lighter note.. i hope the information i have provided has helped you better understand the differences in the 2 types of images.. if you need anymore help, feel free to ask.

Jesse

SGA
08-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Ive moved all my comments to a thread in the open forum

LTandRaptorider
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant

Jesse

good info... however so there is no confusion... extention is actually.. EXTENSION... ;)

Now back to the ball-breakin... I mean GIF-JPEG, solicitation of information thread... :p