PDA

View Full Version : Hero on the Down Side

Ex'rMike
06-03-2002, 08:46 PM
This past weekend a group of us went to Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virginia. Including Ex'r Marlin. We were all racing around and had a great day of rain Saturday. We were soaked, but had a blast. On Sunday, we hit a different trail head. The weather was a whole lot nicer, just a little muddy. We had planned to ride down to the town of Gilbert, which is about 2 hours from the trail head. In Gilbert you can ride on the streets and go to the gas station and fuel up and get some lunch. Well on the way there. I took the lead out of the 4 of us. There was a total of about 18. There is 4 of us that always ride together. About 45 minutes into the ride I cut sidewall out of my front tire and had to nurse it back in. So while I am plugging it, 2 of my buddies pass. But no Ex'r Marlin. So I told them to go on and I would find him and get this tire replace and play catch up. On the way back I found him lying on the side of the trail. He had missed a turn went about a 100 feet off the side of the mountain. He manage somehow to climb back up to the trail. ( I had trouble doing this uninjured.) We doubled back to the trail head and called 911 from my cell. The ambulance pick him up and took to a trauma center about an hour away after he was stable. He had collapsed a lung and shattered his knee cap. He is very lucky and so is the bike, very little damage. By the way the bike hit a tree about 12 feet off the ground at the bottom. I will post pics of the bike at a later date. Here is a pic the him being loaded up. I am sure he would appreciate any encouragement you guys could give him. It sounds like he will be in WV for about 3 more days. Let this be a reminder that gravity hurts. Be careful out there. Get well soon Mr. Marlin.
Ex'rMike

400exRacerX
06-03-2002, 08:54 PM
I wish him best of luck in getting better. Thats the thing I hated most about trail riding! And thats why I dont trail ride anymore,,, too much to worry about with alot of people.

CranMan
06-04-2002, 06:14 AM
Dang man....thanks for a sobering reminder. All of us that like to ride fast need to realize the danger involved, all it takes is meeting someone else who's flying from the opposite direction to turn into a bad situation...

JhallettEX
06-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Is he still comin to Nebraska in a few weeks?

NJ300ex
06-04-2002, 08:12 PM
Tell him to get better for me. I wanted to go riding with him soon at Tower City. But even being hurt he has a smile on his face, as usual. Get better marlin!

Mike

Ex'rMike
06-05-2002, 02:38 PM
I think he got out of the hospitol today(6-5-02). He said his plans of going to Nebraska were canceled by this incident. Hey Mike..... All of Marlins riding buddies are up for Tower City anytime. Let me know. I have a lot of work to do to get Marlins bike back together for him, but I think I can manage a ride sometime over the next couple weeks. Talk to you guys later. Thanks for the support!
-Ex'r Mike

NJ300ex
06-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Alright cool. Make sure to keep us updated if he doesn't get back on the computer soon.

YLW400
06-05-2002, 08:23 PM
Wish your buddy the best of luck!Does your speed shop have a web site Mike?

Pappy
06-05-2002, 08:37 PM
sorry bout the leg marlin...get better soon.

Ex'rMike
06-05-2002, 08:39 PM
Nope..... No web site. I primarly work on 400exs in the area. My buddies call my garage Brown's Speed Shop. I seem to keep all thier quads running good and fast. Last week I put a 416 in Ex'r Marlins quad. It was running awesome!
Ex'r Mike

06-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Damn Marlin what you do to yourself there, but as always I see your smiling:D

But it dont look like your bike is a smilin :devil

Hey man get patched up soon we still need to get in some ridding and I bet you wished you had taken me up on the boat thing that weekend :D

Now Mike I have to tell ya you have some explainin to do here as we all knew that 416 was gonna be toooooo much for ol Marlin but seriously now is he gonna heal up OK and how bad is the quad?

Well hang in there Marlin at least you got the BIG ONE out of the way.

Ex'rMike
06-06-2002, 03:07 PM
Ok.... Here is the extent of the damage.

Front fenders
right side OMF air scoop
works connection lever
Sprocket and chain
foot peg tweaked just a little

Here is the pics. Bear with me I am going to post a few. Ex'r Marlin has not seen his quad since, so I am trying to give him a very good idea how bad it is.

Ex'rMike
06-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Another....

Ex'rMike
06-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Another.....

Ex'rMike
06-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Another......

06-06-2002, 03:15 PM
"so jeff what do you think about that"
-"pretty nutty, darn right nutty"
"just another hero on the downside"

i like that, you took that from Huevos2...lol

i hope your buddy gets beter!

during the video, right after he crashes (in huevos 2)
as a guy runs for the quad he says "oh an axle!" in the most hickish voice, its so funny

Matrix

Ex'rMike
06-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Another.......

Ex'rMike
06-06-2002, 03:23 PM
This is the tire that made me find Ex'r Marlin. Funny thing is that the tire did not leak once I found him.....

Ex'rMike
06-06-2002, 03:25 PM
Eat your heart out Mr. Marlin!

beerock
06-06-2002, 03:46 PM
hey marlin good luck man get better FAST!!

NJ300ex
06-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Yo mike, aren't the holeshot mx's 2 ply? why were you running those on trails?

Ex'rMike
06-06-2002, 07:15 PM
They are the 20" MX and they are 4 ply. They handle great. So much better than the original Holeshot. They don't push at all. I have the 20 XCRs on the rear. Great setup! On the down side, I do need a new tire. How did I do pluggin that one?

Foxrage
06-06-2002, 08:20 PM
Hope he gets better! Sounds really rough. He is lucky in a way that that was the only thing that happened it could of been much worse by the looks of it.

06-06-2002, 10:51 PM
Well missed the call but Marlin sounded in good spirits on my voicemail. Looks like mike is gonna have some work to do on that quad though.

BTW how do you like the WER steering damper there mike?

Ex'rMike
06-07-2002, 03:28 PM
I just put the damper on so I don't know anything about it yet. Ex'r Marlin is jealous, thats why I posted a pic of it. I suppose I will be bolting one on his quad here soon. Til then, I am the ginny pig!
Ex'r Mike

"BLAHH"300!!
06-07-2002, 11:31 PM
..you know what a potato looks like after it's set in your kitchen window for about 2 day's..yeah it start's growing little things off of it, looks about like that tire....

"BLAHH"300!!
06-07-2002, 11:35 PM
..you know what a potato looks like after it's set in your kitchen window for about 2 day's..yeah it start's growing little things off of it, looks about like that tire....

one question, why wassn't anyone looking back after he crashed.
i'm not perfect by any means ya know, but when i ride on a long trail with other's, i usually look back alot to make sure everyone's still there, and i like it when someone looks back for me. just a quick glance back to see the last rider. with everyone watching the guy in front, who watches the last guy...keep an eye back there....$hit man, your quad could burst into flame's and no-one would know...
not bashing you....just pointing something out..

Ex'rMike
06-08-2002, 12:20 AM
He stopped for a second to clean his goggles. He told one of our other friends to go on and he would play catch up. Normally this would not happen, I guess the group of us has made this a habit that is not acceptable. We are definaltly changing a few riding habits.
Ex'r Mike

06-10-2002, 12:33 PM
glad i dont liv by massive cliffs and such, but i still check back once in a while

"BLAHH"300!!
06-10-2002, 01:09 PM
well i don't look back for wreck's and stuff necisarilly
you know, someone could have to stop to pee. then get's left, flat tire, motor failure. might have gotten de-headed by a low hanging branch, never can tell. a snake might have bit him.

speaking of witch.
when you guy's see a snake on a trail do you stop, and wait for it to pass, ride up and slamm the brake's on his head, or ride up slow, pop the clutch and spin out on his head?.

i usually stop, check him out a minute, then ride slow on top of him, then stop slow on top of him. so i can watch him wiggle.
i;m kinda scarred to spin out on him. i'm scarred he's ganna get cought up around my rear wheel, or axel, and fly up and bite me...

Taco
06-11-2002, 06:06 AM
hrmm usually when i see a snake on the trail i jump up on the seat and scream like a lil girly. I HATE SNAKES!!!!!:grr

Texan32
06-11-2002, 06:40 AM
Don't forget about the sprocket hub. Man, i have never seen a sproket get that twisted. Does Marlin run a swingarm skid plate? he must have spacked a pretty good rock just right to bend that up and not hurt anything else back there. Also, i can't see that WER very good. Do you have another shot, or is there a web site i can look at one?

06-11-2002, 10:20 AM
He stopped for a second to clean his goggles. He told one of our other friends to go on and he would play catch up. Normally this would not happen, I guess the group of us has made this a habit that is not acceptable. We are definaltly changing a few riding habits.

This is something I end up talking about on way too many trail rides. It just seems that I ride with four or more people a lot and its so much easier if you buddy up with the guy behind you.

There has only been a few times that anyone has crashed but its a real pain when you keep losing people from the group and have to stop and go back and look for them.

After riding with the same people a few times you should get to know which ones cant be at the back :D

Though I would not have worried to put Marlin in clean up position, guess I have bad judgement :cool: JK there marlin

Just keep an eye out for each other and put the really bad riders in front of you so 1. they dont hit you and 2. you get to see them crash. I have one or two friends that I love to follow, they ride fast and hit somethig pretty good on every ride.

Ex'r Marlin
06-11-2002, 01:41 PM
Wow, this site is awesome!!!!

Thanks Mike (Ex'r Mike) for posting this.... This really put a smile on my face!!:cool:

I can't believe it has been over a week now...... Pain pills must be working good:D

Thank you guys for your support. I do feel a lot better.

My broken left knee cap should heel ok. Time will tell. (hopefully sooner than later, I want to go out and ride again soon!!):)

My partially collapsed left lung feels 100%

My poison ivy on my left arm is still around and annoying me like a fly that won't go away!!:mad:

My left side of my body is bruised pretty good. I must have hit something pretty hard......... I don't remember hitting anything. :confused:

The rule of thumb on trail riding is that you are responsible for the rider behind you. You can ride as fast as you want, but when you come to a turn, you must make sure the rider behind you sees you and is alright.

It is my fault on this..... I told everyone after we fixed Mike's flat to pretend that this is a race.... Run full throttle and pass the guys we aim to get bragging rights with!! (Yes, we have some ego's, especially me).

I can not understand how I am here, still conscious, alive, and with minor issues. The replay in my head would prove a different outcome......................

Ex'rMike
06-13-2002, 03:29 PM
The sprocket hub hit a tree. Mr. Marlin has a PRM skid plate which is not at all damaged. I do have other shots of my W.E.R. Damper. I will post them at a later date. I am busy as a bee right now.
Ex'r Mike

Ex'r Marlin
06-13-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Ex'rMike
The sprocket hub hit a tree. Mr. Marlin has a PRM skid plate which is not at all damaged.

Actually, that was my new Pro-Tect stainless steel skid plate:cool:

That was a brand new rear sprocket and a brand new DID X-ring chain that I got for the Hatfield McCoy ride, unfortunately, they got totalled.:(

Thanks for the update Mike.... The Dominator axle should arrive soon at your doorstep......:D And yes... I am extreeeemly jealous of that WER steering dampener.

BTW: For my rehilibilitation, I have watched all 4 of the Huevos atv videos.... and I am anxious to get healed and ride again soon with you guys. I can't wait to go back to Hatfield McCoy.

Note: It is good to be alive amongst all you good people, especially Mr. Mike Brown!!:macho

Pappy
06-13-2002, 06:24 PM
hey marlin...good too see your doing better. very sorry to hear about it . thank god for pain killers eh!!!:D docs think you will be 100% when done healing?

Ex'r Marlin
06-13-2002, 06:29 PM
I thought you were going to come ride with us.... What happened?

Anyway, wish me luck tomorrow for my doctor visits. One for my lung, and the other for my knee. My brain is not recognizing my left thigh muscle yet.....:( But I am now hobbling around without my crutches....:cool:

beerock
06-13-2002, 06:31 PM
not to be an ***, but this goes for everyone.....

knee pads are priceless.........

I always use mine.

my friend shattered his knee cap and always has problems now.
if he had knee pads he woudl have been fine.

Ive been thinking about getting elbow pads, I should have broken my arm in this wreck....get bettersoon marlin....

if you need parts give me a call.....

Ex'r Marlin
06-13-2002, 06:39 PM
I will definetly get them...... Once I am able to ride again. Good to hear from you Beerock. Sorry to hear about your friend having problems with his knee cap.... And I hope you are ok after that wreck! Good to see you have fans take pictures for you.:cool:

I need to invest in one of those helmet cams:D

Pappy
06-13-2002, 06:48 PM
i wanted to make the trip but time ran out on me. i bought a new set of knee pads monday just for that reason. my dad ripped his right knee cap off when he wrecked ridin the rr tracks. anyway, when ya get mobil again we will go riding. other than the crash how was the place.

06-13-2002, 09:49 PM
I need to invest in one of those helmet cams

Marlin thats too funny:D

knee pads are priceless.........I always use mine.

Now Bee thats waaaaay tooo funny:devil

250rmike
06-23-2002, 08:27 PM
marlin i know how u feel man last summer i was out of comission all summer and lucky to be alive. i got into a jetski accident(a buddy of mine hit me and went right over top of my ski). pain killers do wonders. i had a dilocated wrist elbow and shoulder, broke the 2 little bones in my lower left arm, broke 4 ribs and partially collapsed a lung. hope u get better soon ma not riding during the summer sucks. by the way dont watch any riding movies it will make u wanna ride more.

Ex'r Marlin
06-24-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by 250rmike
by the way dont watch any riding movies it will make u wanna ride more. Sooooo true!!!!:)

Wow, sorry to hear about your mishap! Glad you are alive and with us!! So have you been able to get on a jet ski since? If so, how long did it take for you to get back on?

I am hoping that sone after July 15 that I will be able to ride. I am not allowed to bend my knee until then. You are right though, I can not wait to ride again. The "Speed" channel on cable has been my motivator lately!!!:D

Again, sorry to hear about your mishap, a lot happened to you! I hope you are ok now, but I am sure you have some limitations now.

250rmike
06-24-2002, 11:51 AM
it happened on june 10 of last year and i didnt get my cast of until like sept. 2nd. my arm was still broke so i couldnt really do anything fun until about a month later. i just got bck on my skis last month. just fixed em but i got a new one now. i really dont have limitations but sometimes my arm likes to get stiff and not move very much and sometimes I cant extend my arm all the way. hope u can ride soon. and speed channel was a life saver that and the espn channels

Ex'r Marlin
06-24-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
sometimes my arm likes to get stiff and not move very much and sometimes I cant extend my arm all the way. hope u can ride soon. and speed channel was a life saver that and the espn channels
Yeah, usually after a major accident like yours, something doesn't always feel right. Sorry to hear it took almost 3 months to get healed. I hear the longer you are out of riding, the harder it is to get back on and ride. Glad to hear you are back out riding your skis.

BTW, Yes, I really do enjoy the Speed channel and some ESPN, especially the Extreme stuff!!

06-24-2002, 03:59 PM
i learned this, wen i broke my colar bone and face bones playin baseball, u learn to do stuff 1 handed, video games for example, and anyway, when i was outa commison, i wached the extreme crashes things, like cars, boats, bikes, skateboards, ext, that stuff rocks.

250rmike
06-24-2002, 04:13 PM
yea i learned to play games with one hand and a couple fingers when i got out of the cast it was hard for me to do the same things. it wasnt really hardfor me to get back into riding cause a few days after i got the cast off i sold my blaster and that same day i bought my r.

Pappy
06-24-2002, 06:06 PM
hey marlin....my plans do haul ya around in a wagon will have to wait. i cracked a vertebrea thursday! maybe someone will tow us both now!

06-24-2002, 06:35 PM
hey marlin....my plans do haul ya around in a wagon will have to wait. i cracked a vertebrea thursday! maybe someone will tow us both now!

Wow you guys are falling apart all over:D

I'm gonna have to get a 4X4 to haul a trailer big enough for everyone.

400EX127 which vertebra did you break? quad accident?

yea i learned to play games with one hand and a couple fingers did anyone else find something funny in this:eek:

Pappy
06-24-2002, 06:39 PM
i was hittin big double on thursday...then back got to hurtin bad. i rode saturday and by this morning i was done. i went and got xray then mri and they said it is like the 7th or 8th one up has a crack in it. i wrecked hard last year and sprained my neck and broke my left arm so i geuss thats when i did it. they said no activity for 6 months...yeah right. i will ride soon as i feel a lil better.

250rmike
06-24-2002, 07:07 PM
why is something funny in it? i had a full arm cast on and couldnt get a angle of my arm so i could play games. i could only use my thumb

Ex'r Marlin
06-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by 400ex127
hey marlin....my plans do haul ya around in a wagon will have to wait. i cracked a vertebrea thursday! maybe someone will tow us both now! What!!!!:confused: Please tell me this is not true!!! :eek:

You will be out for 6 months?:confused: Oh my...... This is not good!!

Lenny (440EX4me), I guess you will have to pull us around in my Toyota.... What dates are open for you? I think I still need to get a hold of a wagon that can sit two....:macho

250rmike, I am sure 440EX4me was just commenting on your comment on how similar it is to what a male might do with his free hand when no one is looking.....:rolleyes:

440, sorry to hear about your mishap. Since my accident, I have heard a lot of painful stories. As for extreme events on TV, I really like the X game events. (I am not ready to see all those crazy accidents yet).

Pappy
06-24-2002, 08:41 PM
hahahah...yeah its true. but i havent listened to the doctor so far so why change now. if i can take it easy i should be ok. i will lay off the rough stuff for a couple of weeks and i will be ok. sure hurts bad now tho!:(

Ex'r Marlin
06-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Like Nate Leverenz (sp?) on Huevos 2 said, and Ex'rMike stated this thread on.... Another hero on the downside. Bummer!!

BTW, I am waiting on Lenny to see if he can come up with a wagon to tow us around on.... Hehe.:D

Note, I am one to listen to the doctor.... Mainly because I don't know too much.:rolleyes: But once I get the ok to ride, I hope I will be ready. I too hope you will be able to ride sooner than 6 months.

Get well soon!!!:)

Castor-426ex
06-24-2002, 10:55 PM
Doctors suck...i broke my thumb about two years ago at an mx race...doc put me in a cast up to my elbow...I was like wtf...I gotta go ridin...I dont need my thumb to ride (It was my left hand)
waited a week... till I could at least wiggle my thumb....got some tin snips...and chopped the cast off..lol...I had to go back for a checkup...I showed up with no cast and the doc freaked....Blah blah blah!!..i told him he did a good job...i told him i went back to that track and got 5th....he said if I break another bone....get another specialist....lmao...

250rmike
06-25-2002, 09:15 AM
yea i know I was just saying that. if we had to my dad has a sportsman 500 to pull u all around hahaha

400ex127 I guess this mean that u arnt gonna go to easton any time soon. that sucks i was hoping to see u there. did you get ur new shocks yet?

Pappy
06-25-2002, 11:36 AM
i will be back on the quad in a week or so. this is not a new injury but i just found out about it. i geuss the jumping just pissed off my back!lol!:D i may be back at rausch next weekend or maybe at the landing.

YLW400
06-25-2002, 02:52 PM
I am either going to Easton or to Seaford this weekend. Sunday, cause I have to work on Saturdays. Why don't you 2 plan on coming out to one of those places? You have to check out Seaford soon though.

250rmike
06-25-2002, 03:59 PM
i will have to talk to my dad about sunday. i dont know though cause i am supposed to race saturday at wisp. if i dont do that i am gonna take my boaters coarse on saturday to finally get it. let me think about it though if both of u are going.

06-25-2002, 08:23 PM
why is something funny in it?
Dude loosen up a little it just sounded like you were gettin pretty comfortable with mary palm and her five sisters thats all.

i was hittin big double on thursday...then back got to hurtin bad. i rode saturday and by this morning i was done. i went and got xray then mri and they said it is like the 7th or 8th one up has a crack in it.
Wow thats stinks. There are a lot of nerves that travel thru that area of your back and if your bones are putting pressure on them your gonna not only feel it but have all kinds of other little things that will be wrong.

And those ortho doctors cant do crap but give you pills(maybe not all that bad:) ) and you may want to check out a chiropractor but be carefull since not all of them really know what they are doing and can screw you up worse. A good one can get you straightend out and not only reduce the pain but if your spine is out of whack its more likely to get damaged more from the impact of hard landings. Sorry to sound like a damn DR but you get good at this stuff after you hurt your back a few times.

yea i know I was just saying that. if we had to my dad has a sportsman 500 to pull u all around hahaha Good idea and we can get some used seats at the junk yard and I have a real small single bike trailer, hey this may work :D
And if we organize the ride to demonstrate to the political types you guys can ride and wave to everyone like your in a parade.

250rmike
06-25-2002, 09:49 PM
dude i was playing around

Ex'r Marlin
06-25-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
And if we organize the ride to demonstrate to the political types you guys can ride and wave to everyone like your in a parade. I may not be able to physically ride, but I would not miss out on that!!! I will gladly wave.... Or make my best judgement on what to wave, hehe:)

Thanks Lenny! (440EX4me)