PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rear brake pads

06-03-2002, 08:42 PM
my 400ex keeps wearing the brake pads. I dont use the rear brakes very often, only going down hills. if anyone has any ideas please help im tired of buying rear pads

oynot400
06-04-2002, 06:02 AM
It could be one of a couple of things. Remove the parking brake, sometimes it will hang up and cause the pads to drag. Then replace it with a block off plate.
Other thing to do is take the piston out of the caliper and clean it up. It can get a rust ring around the outside causing the piston not to go back like it should. Lube up the float pins with either a good quailty grease or anti-seize. Check the brake lever also, you may have to clean and lube the pivot point.
That should pretty much have you covered. Hope it helps....:)

RdingManiac420
06-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Also if you go through mud that greatly decreases your brake pads. The Hondas are also known for having short brake life. I would get the best quality kevlar brakes you can find then get a few spare sets of them cause you will probly keep going through them pretty quick.

harebounder
06-04-2002, 08:43 PM
oo 400ex where are you located. I have the same problems trying some sintered pads next race.

OCCRA288
06-04-2002, 08:49 PM
I use sintered pads and they wear your rotor a little faster but not much. Better stopping power for sure and also better wear.

skemp
06-05-2002, 01:10 AM
Another common problem is a bent rotor. The easiest way to check is to put the quad up on a lift or milk crate and put it in gear. Watch the caliper to see if it wobbles from side to side. If it does, your rotor is warped, most likely from impact not blocked by the stock pop can skid plate. Get a new rotor and you will probably have to pound the skid back (Unless you invest in an aftermarket skid). Good luck, either the other suggestions or this. :D

mcmike
06-06-2002, 08:41 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but I found out that if you dont adjust your park brake just right, and push the piston all the way down, when changing brake pads, they wear out 10 times faster. the park brake lever has to be pushed back after you remove your old pads, before you install the new ones. You will know right away, because the new ones fall right into place.:D