PDA

View Full Version : anyone hav 14 tooth up front???

exracer330
08-02-2005, 08:57 PM
hey guys sry if i reposted but the ohter one kind of mutated...

any who do any of u guy run a 14 tooh sproket up front with smaller tires? i wanna hav power for the track but i hav 22 razars on it now. iv got a 300 (313) if it matters. but i just wanna no if smaller tires in bak will effect on the track with a 14 tooh because i like the top end with it now...

thanks guys hav a good one.

aviator4
08-03-2005, 08:11 AM
I have about this same setup on my 400. I don't know how much of this info will translate to the 300, but here's my experience.

the 14 tooth front coupled with smaller rear tires (I am running Razr 22's, which have a lower profile sidewall than the stock) makes my bike feel like it's generating more torque, but it sacrafices top end speed for it. This not necessarily a bad thing because MX racing rarely see's a quad fully wound out. The extra torque makes hill climbing easier and the lower profile tires (assuming you go with aftermarker 10 inch rims) have less side-to-side play in them. This makes my bike climb with more authority and I worry less about busting the bead. On the down side, I find myself shifting more often since I go through the gears faster than a 15 tooth sprocket, which is stock on the 400.

If you find that a 14 tooth sacrafices too much top end speed, you might want to consider changing the the rear sprocket by going up a tooth. This essentially does the same thing, but at a smaller graduation than going down on the front.

Hope this helps.

RRP
08-03-2005, 02:48 PM
I have 20" razr's on my 300ex.I went with the 14 tooth spocket to make up for the 2" drop in tire diameter.Full throttle in 5th gear It feels like I lost a little top speed but not much.It does seem to have a little more lowend.I am going to change the rear to a 37 tooth this weekend and see what difference it makes.

44oEX
08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
I have about this same setup on my 400. I don't know how much of this info will translate to the 300, but here's my experience.

the 14 tooth front coupled with smaller rear tires (I am running Razr 22's, which have a lower profile sidewall than the stock) makes my bike feel like it's generating more torque, but it sacrafices top end speed for it. This not necessarily a bad thing because MX racing rarely see's a quad fully wound out. The extra torque makes hill climbing easier and the lower profile tires (assuming you go with aftermarker 10 inch rims) have less side-to-side play in them. This makes my bike climb with more authority and I worry less about busting the bead. On the down side, I find myself shifting more often since I go through the gears faster than a 15 tooth sprocket, which is stock on the 400.

If you find that a 14 tooth sacrafices too much top end speed, you might want to consider changing the the rear sprocket by going up a tooth. This essentially does the same thing, but at a smaller graduation than going down on the front.

Hope this helps.

ok first of all do you mean razr 2's or 22 inch??? if you mean 22 inch them they are BIGGER the stock ( 20 ) not smaller...if you mean razr 2's then they are probably still bigger them stock cause there a XC tire.

stock front sprocket on a 300 is a 13...so a 14 will give him more top speed not bottom end.

you should get 20's for track ( mx ) and put a 14 up front...maybe even a 36 out back or a 15 up front if you need a little more top speed. I know some guys run piped 300ex's with 15/36 and 20's with no problem...there not mx bikes but they do ok.