PDA

View Full Version : shifting problem

anthony269
08-02-2005, 07:05 PM
I bought my 2002 400ex used a few years ago. The shifting seemed fine until i rode my friends and found out my was hard as hell. I just changed the cable and it feels a lot better but i was wondering if the shifting is normally a little rough when shifting? When i shift you hear a "click" not very loud but noticably loud. Never knew what its supposed to sound like and trying to figure out if i need a cluch rebuild. (compared to my friends 400 suzuki you dont hear any click when you shift)

also when the quad is off and i move it while in gear, with the cluch pulled all the way in you can still feel it grab a little. I already adjusted the cable so im trying to figure out if this is the norm.

thanks
Anthony

anthony269
08-03-2005, 09:21 AM
anyone?

MotoX3
08-03-2005, 10:29 AM
that should be normal....all the 400s ive rode have a little click when you put it in gear...you should be ok unless youre really having to work to shift...then it could be a number or things....and about the 2nd part...ive always had my clutches adjusted so when i click into gear and rev it a little it just BARELY tries to go

jhoppa
08-04-2005, 09:37 AM
change your oil and see if it gets better. Try Synthetic oil.

anthony269
08-05-2005, 05:05 AM
already using 10W-40 from the dealer ( i think its maxis oil or something like that)

jhoppa
08-05-2005, 09:42 AM
I change my oil every race. In a two-hour harescamble I can notice a big difference in shifting from the beginning, to end of race, due to dirt getting into the motor.

If your dipstick is brown, change your oil and see if the shifting is any better. Try this before taking stuff apart.

I don't use my clutch when I am rolling, see if you notice a difference when using the clutch to shift or not. Might be clutch related.