PDA

View Full Version : More jetting help please!!

ohsobad_chevy
08-02-2005, 06:17 PM
OK, here is my setup, I have a '04 400 EX that i am putting an HMF sport series (full system) pipe on. I am in Oklahoma where the elevation is around 800 FT. I was planning on running a UNI filter with NO airbox lid. I am curious to know what jetting i should use in my scenario. Is it better to cut holes in the top of the airbox lid, rather than running without the lid? Please help, all input is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

2004exrider
08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
when you order (if you havent already?) hmf will ask you what mods you have. tell them your planning on running a uni w/out lid and they will send you a jet for that set up. this jet will usually be a good starting point, and might actually be dead on. id suggest running with out the lid for many reasons. dont mutilate yours, its better just to take it off. if you drill holes in it then you have more chances of getting mud or water in there (especially when you wash it). if you decide to go to some trails where theres mud or places where you have to cross rivers or wide creeks youll really want the lid to protect it. when you decide to put the lid on youll more than likely havew to down the jet a size or two. so to make the long story short, if you no your going thru muddy/deep water areas you can put the lid on. if you no its going to be dry then take the lid off.

Jimmy

ohsobad_chevy
08-02-2005, 10:24 PM
I usually ride where there is some wet and some dry. It is kind of a mixture in between the two, so i dont know what to do. My cousin runs with his lid off and he said that he never has a problem crossing creaks or getting muddy.
Thanks,

aviator4
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Mat,

Around these parts (I'm an Okie too) you will find that they will probably bump you up to a 152-154 main to get you started in the configuration. I agree with Jimmy, don't drill holes in your airbox lid, just take it off. You're going to need it some day. Ther aren't many streams going through our neck of the woods that are very deep, but there are a few. Any time you run in wet or muddy conditions, I would recommend putting the lid back on. It may make your bike run a little-LITTLE rich, but it's better than drowning it out with water.

Just a note about the UNI. I love 'em, I really do, but around these parts, you have to be diligent in keeping them clean. The nice red dust that we ride in turns to clay when it hits that filter, so be sure to keep that sucker clean! I was cleaning mine every other ride when I rode at Stanley Draper Lake because the bike ended up choking itself to death. I finally ended up going to a K&N with an outerwears and haven't had a problem since. At little Sahara, either is good, but the outerwears really makes a difference.

I still use my UNI on occasion, but it's only second to my K&N now.

Good luck with your new pipe!

ohsobad_chevy
08-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the input, keep it comin'. Im in need of all the help i can get.
Thank ya fellas,