PDA

View Full Version : battery question

js3350z
08-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I have a 400ex, I left the switch on... and the battery was dead.

My dad pulled it with his utility, so I could start it... so my question is does the battery charge while idleing or do you have to be "riding" for it to charge.

thanks

2000400EX
08-03-2005, 05:39 AM
It will charge while idling, but it will charge better while riding it.

js3350z
08-03-2005, 09:01 AM
cool, thanks for the help

js3350z
10-31-2005, 02:57 PM
I havn't used the quad for a while, I got a "battery tender plus" because I don't ride quite as much as I would like to (and the battery isn't getting charged often)

I had the battery tender on, and it was saying it had a full chare... So I put it in the quad. Hit the starter button and the relay just buzzed (the lights were working) so I checked to make sure all the connections were tight (and they were) and again it buzzed. So I put a different battery charger on it, let it sit for 5 minutes and the engine tried to turn over, it was going real slow but no buzzing.

What are your suggestions?

and how do you mount the battery tender cables to the quad (when you use the bolt through the rings) the place I got battery tender from said to mount it to the battery posts, but someone else said to mount positive to the battery and ground to the frame...

so which is it?

thanks

wilkin250r
10-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by js3350z

and how do you mount the battery tender cables to the quad (when you use the bolt through the rings) the place I got battery tender from said to mount it to the battery posts, but someone else said to mount positive to the battery and ground to the frame...

so which is it?

The negative side of the battery should be wired to the frame anyways, so it doesn't matter which one you put it on.

Me, personally, I say stick it on the battery. It's possible to have a bad connection between the negative battery post and the frame, so take it out of the loop and charge the battery directly.

shorgasm
10-31-2005, 04:13 PM
I used to love my battery tender.....then one day it decided to tell me the battery was charged and in storage mode..NOPE..wouldn't fire the motor.It turned out to be the battery tender..it went bad and just kept saying the battery was full when it wasn't.Plus they take Foooorever to bring up a low battery.Which they should.

I wnet ahead and bought a good amp selectable charger and never had another issue.Trickle--load--charge..it does it all on its own.:cool:

js3350z
11-01-2005, 10:11 AM
same thing happened with mine, and it was brand new but I figured out what was wrong...

it had a "surface charge", so I left headlights on for 1 hour (without running) then put it on battery tender and it charged the right way and now it is all good, quad runs fine

thanks everyone

js3350z
11-02-2005, 10:51 AM
danm I posted to soon, same problem

js3350z
11-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Do you guys think it may be the battery, I have tried everything short of changeing the battery...

6arett
11-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Have they invented solar powered jump starters yet? Hmm that be good invention :devil:

js3350z
11-04-2005, 10:10 AM
ya, that would be great:ermm:

js3350z
11-06-2005, 06:58 AM
turns out to be the battery :o