PDA

View Full Version : Custom air box lid for 400ex!!

plkmonster2
08-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Ok, I've been testing this thing for about 6 months on my 400. I went to sears one day, and say a lawnmower air filter, that was like 4 by 4 inches. I suddenly got an idea. I hated the stupid holes I had in my airbox because there was always dust on my airfilter. I bought the filter for 5.99. Not bad. It had a lip of foam around the whole filter. I brought it home, pulled off my lid, and traced around the paper element, not the foam, on my lid. I cut the rear end of my lid off, about 1/4 from the indents in the back of the lid. i'll get pics to show you. I mounted the filter upside down, with the metal screen up. This way, I don't have about an inch of filter sticking up from my airbox and hitting the seat. I set the filter in th elid, and ground away more plastic until it fit perfectly. I scored the lid about 3/8 of an inch out from where my square hole was. I put Black silicone on the scored plastic, and set the filter on. This was 6 months ago. Still today, it runs awesome....It is so much cleaner, and I have no dirt on the top of my uni anymore. plus, this filter is so easy to clean. You just tap it, and the dirt falls off, or you can wash it with water, and let it dry out. I'm very pleased for my 6 dolar investment, and wanted to show everyone. I have noticed NO difference when using this with the snorkel compared to no lid.

jak1389
08-02-2005, 02:01 PM
lets see those pics!

phildogg
08-02-2005, 04:10 PM
def. show us some pix.might try to mod the airbox also.
phil

plkmonster2
08-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I'll have them up in a jiff. My brother just brought the digi cam back, so I'll take a few.

plkmonster2
08-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Here is the top:

plkmonster2
08-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Here is the bottom. On the previous pic, the red stuff is axle rtv. I smothered it good to make sure it wouldn't come off, but I never had a problem just using a small bead of black goo.