PDA

View Full Version : YFZ for the woods????

tom400ex
08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I was wondering how the YFZ did in the woods? I know somebody selling theres for a really good price and I've been thinking about it but most of the riding I do is trail riding.

08-02-2005, 11:57 AM
yfz all the way

Hon300ex
08-02-2005, 11:59 AM
dirtwheels did an article on how to make a yfz better for woods

tom400ex
08-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Even if the tarils are rocky, muddy and over trees if need be?

300exPat
08-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Yfz's defintly suck in the woods compared to the track and not having reverse doesn't help either, most of us would rather have them though because there fast. If you really only ride trails then a 2005 400ex or z/kfx/dvx would be good for you

08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
YFZ or 450R are the only way to go.

Flynbryan19
08-02-2005, 12:46 PM
It will be fine. They're alittle more prone to stall, but the suspension(despite everyone dogging them) is pretty good. If you can get a good deal, I say go for it.

quadrcr161
08-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by sinister450

why, because they are the newest and fastest in production? IMO for trail riding, a 400ex, z400, even a v-force would be a better machine. why does someone need a 450cc, high geared, non reverse machine for recrational trail riding? seems over kill, most riders never get close to even useing any of the atv's performance. and again most riders buy the higher cc atv's for bragging rights and to try and out run their friends if they do a little drag racing across a field. with these high performance atv's being sold the the general public, its a matter of time before the lawers and the soccer moms sue the sport. race inspired atv's should not be sold to the public. flame me if you want, but its true.

08-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
why, because they are the newest and fastest in production? IMO for trail riding, a 400ex, z400, even a v-force would be a better machine. why does someone need a 450cc, high geared, non reverse machine for recrational trail riding? seems over kill, most riders never get close to even useing any of the atv's performance. and again most riders buy the higher cc atv's for bragging rights and to try and out run their friends if they do a little drag racing across a field. with these high performance atv's being sold the the general public, its a matter of time before the lawers and the soccer moms sue the sport. race inspired atv's should not be sold to the public. flame me if you want, but its true.

WOW! He asked if a YFZ is good in the woods, and I said either the YFZ or 450R. Why you ask? Because if he is wondering about the YFZ I'm sure he can also handle a 450R. And if you are going to spend money in purchasing a XC quad wht buy an out dated 400ex or 300ex?? Not knocking them just stating the truth. And I'm not even going to address your whole "high performance ATV's sold to the public" quote thats just plain retarded:rolleyes:

tom400ex
08-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Well I had a 400ex for years and sold it a few months ago when I bought my grizzly. My 400 just sat there so I sold it to sombody I know for there kid, and now I miss having a sport bike. I've only been to the track twice and would like to maybe start going more often, but you never know. Its impossible to try and get my friends to go riding now just in the woods. so i'll go to the track by myself, I don't care. I like having the best of both worlds having the griz and a sport bike. I should have never sold my 400. it would have been good enough for me just to satify my fix of a sport bike then get back on my cadillac griz and just gas and break all day and not worry:devil:

I am an idiot for selling my 400, but anyway the dude I spoke to is sell an '04 white yfz with new bars and nerfs for $4300 and said he could work on the price for me. so I'm thinking 3700 or 3800 maybe:D

Flynbryan19
08-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Wow, that really came out of no where. Someone pull the soap box out from under this guy. If sport quads weren't sold to the general public..... I got news for ya bud....... You wouldn't have one either.:huh

08-02-2005, 01:36 PM
funny thing is he owns a 450R! Atleast thats what it says in his sig!

quadrcr161
08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
[B]WOW! And if you are going to spend money in purchasing a XC quad wht buy an out dated 400ex or 300ex??

he didnt say anything about XC, just trail riding, then he also said later that he played on a track a few times. a 400ex/z400 could do everything he needed one to do.

i also didnt say sport atv's, but the race styled, and since i just race yes i would have one also. i ahve one of the 1st 450r's in alabama and guess what, its never been in the woods, and probably wont.

why do you think the general public needs an atv like the yfz, 450r and when released the z450 and raptor 700 to just trail ride? i mentioned several other options he could look at that would probably do what he wanted and not require the matainance that a yfz needs.

08-02-2005, 01:46 PM
LOL! maintenance??? You are too much! Yes I know.. Yamaha's SUCK HONDA'S rule!!:D

quadrcr161
08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
LOL! maintenance??? You are too much! Yes I know.. Yamaha's SUCK HONDA'S rule!!:D

i didnt not say anything about yamaha's sucking did it? to even change a plug in the yfz you have to remove the gas tank rigth? have to buy a shim kit to adjust the valves right? it could be more then what he is wanting to do.

08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
if sport quads werent sold to the public,and only pros could have them, then they would be the last batch of pros in the sport.what about the up and coming AM's? what would they ride?

EvilJester400EX
08-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Your mom.

quadrcr161
08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
if sport quads werent sold to the public,and only pros could have them, then they would be the last batch of pros in the sport.what about the up and coming AM's? what would they ride?

did i say anything about them not being sold at all or only available to pro's? there would have to be something set up and designed to know if the person was buying it for race or trail riding.

back to the topic anyway.

08-02-2005, 02:03 PM
i didnt not say anything about yamaha's sucking did it? to even change a plug in the yfz you have to remove the gas tank rigth? have to buy a shim kit to adjust the valves right? it could be more then what he is wanting to do.

uhh you have to remove the gas tank to get to the plug on the honda too

450robot
08-02-2005, 02:03 PM
holy crap! everyone calm down

he just asked if yfzs were good in the woods

but seriously, they are excellent in the woods, but the tend to stallin first, and have no reverse

if you are looking for just a trail machine, and nothing to race, i would head for the predator, great all around quad, with race pontential, and its comfortable

but if you plan on racing too, i would get a yfz

the z/kfx is also a good all around machine for woods, with potential for the track, but its a little mild on the power stock

Flynbryan19
08-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Fella, you've got a pretty interesting out look on the situation....... What about those that race xc? What about me? I don't race, but like to get out there and ride hard. The only difference is I don't do it in an organized sanctioned event? What your telling me is that I can't have a 450 just because I don't take it to a track? Do you realize how FEW quads and even dirtbikes for that matter ever even see an organized sanctioned event and how few less are ever piloted by a pro rider?

You have absolutely no solid arguement....:confused:

quadrcr161
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Fella, you've got a pretty interesting out look on the situation....... What about those that race xc? What about me? I don't race, but like to get out there and ride hard. The only difference is I don't do it in an organized sanctioned event? What your telling me is that I can't have a 450 just because I don't take it to a track? Do you realize how FEW quads and even dirtbikes for that matter ever even see an organized sanctioned event and how few less are ever piloted by a pro rider?

You have absolutely no solid arguement....:confused:

i didnt say anything about a sport quad, 400ex, z400, and like atv's, but mainly ones who are geared more towards track use like the yfz, 450r. the people who did race XC would fall under the race group i mentioned earlier. im sure you ride hard, but why do you need an atv like a 450r? just because its faster then a 400ex? can you tell that much difference in the trails? i know there are tons of atv's that will never see a track, and i also know there are tons of people riding machines they they are not able to handle and control and law suites were pretty common quite a fwe years ago, and will even be more common now against the companies.

infantry317
08-02-2005, 02:25 PM
1st gear is a little high, but you'll be alright, I rode one at the WI 6hrs of ATV America, loved it, but we also had PEP boingers on it.

tom400ex
08-02-2005, 02:27 PM
whats a good price for it?

Flynbryan19
08-02-2005, 02:57 PM
i didnt say anything about a sport quad, 400ex, z400, and like atv's, but mainly ones who are geared more towards track use like the yfz, 450r. the people who did race XC would fall under the race group i mentioned earlier. im sure you ride hard, but why do you need an atv like a 450r? just because its faster then a 400ex? can you tell that much difference in the trails? i know there are tons of atv's that will never see a track, and i also know there are tons of people riding machines they they are not able to handle and control and law suites were pretty common quite a fwe years ago, and will even be more common now against the companies.

Why would I need a Z28 Camaro, or a GT mustang instead of a Geo Metro.......? Because its not a matter of NEED its a matter of want. Why do you need a 450? You don't. None of us do. If everyone took your mindset we'd all drive 4-cylinder cars and ride blasters and 250ex's..... Because, afterall we don't NEED them right.......? Its rediculous that we're even talking about this. The fella's original questions was, would the Yfz be good in the woods?

Yes, it will be fine.

EvilJester400EX
08-02-2005, 04:54 PM
You guys are pathetic. Buy whatever feels comfortable to you. Do you really need 45+ horsepower in the woods?

FoxRacing81
08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 300exPat
Yfz's defintly suck in the woods compared to the track and not having reverse doesn't help either, most of us would rather have them though because there fast. If you really only ride trails then a 2005 400ex or z/kfx/dvx would be good for you

I guess you better go tell Bill Ballance and everyone else who races XC on a YFZ that they suck!

450robot
08-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
You guys are pathetic. Buy whatever feels comfortable to you. Do you really need 45+ horsepower in the woods?

yes, yes you do, why would you ask such a stupid question

muddy400EX
08-02-2005, 06:47 PM

race inspired atv's should not be sold to the public? that is the stupidist thing i have ever heard, i agree that some people buy 450's just to say "i have a 450" but what your saying is a little to far. i want a 450, because i have outgrown my 400ex and i want more power and better suspension, but i dont want ot spend thousands in motor and suspension mods cuz it will just make it unreliable and by the time i spend all that i could just have a 450. so maybe people dont NEED a 450, but maybe they WANT a 450. why do u have a 450r and a 250r? u dont NEED them, right?

standardryder
08-02-2005, 06:59 PM
i have had a 300ex since i was 12, im 18 and 6"3' can i have a 450r?

EXtremeEXer50
08-02-2005, 07:00 PM
i got my yfz because my 400ex went to ***** not bashing them but compared to my bike now...my suspention is better, the power suits me more, its a lot more fun on little local homemade tracks, and did i mention the 400ex suspention sucked!!!...i dont take mine to a track does that mean i cant have one...i ride trails and do damn fine i dont see why ppl think the honda is better for trails, if all ur gunna do is race ur not enjoying RIDING.

08-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by EXtremeEXer50
i got my yfz because my 400ex went to ***** not bashing them but compared to my bike now...my suspention is better, the power suits me more, its a lot more fun on little local homemade tracks, and did i mention the 400ex suspention sucked!!!...i dont take mine to a track does that mean i cant have one...i ride trails and do damn fine i dont see why ppl think the honda is better for trails, if all ur gunna do is race ur not enjoying RIDING. you ever heard of aftermarket suspension???????

standardryder
08-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
i want a 450, because i have outgrown my 400ex and i want more power and better suspension, but i dont want ot spend thousands in motor and suspension mods cuz it will just make it unreliable and by the time i spend all that i could just have a 450.

he has a point

08-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
uhh you have to remove the gas tank to get to the plug on the honda too

You dont for either of them :huh u just need an extension.. i had to buy mine on ebay for $18 lol

YFZ for woods.. if u can feather the clutch n rip it around trees why not? He never said what kind of woods.. they could be mountains covered in trees that u need tons of power to climb them lol but my friends that have 450r just go down a tooth on the front sprocket n they are fine in the woods

Dannys440
08-02-2005, 08:34 PM
In my oppnion(I know oppnions are like @ss holes everbody has one)i think the YFZ hits to hard on the power,I prefer the TRX,but all you gotta do is get to know what the power hits like and you will be fine.

Jake250ex
08-02-2005, 08:50 PM

yea, sometimes you do... ever came around a corner and a really steep hill is there :eek2:

08-03-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by standardryder
i have had a 300ex since i was 12, im 18 and 6"3' can i have a 450r?

:D :D :D NO! You don't need it!!:devil:

400exstud
08-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I personally think the rider determines how fast you go.

Last weekend I was giving my mom a tour of the trails in northern WI. She was piloting her rancher 350 ES and we came upon a group of predators that were stopped. I decided to stop and let them go first because my mom is not the fastest rider. Well when they took off they were going balls to the walls down the first straight away but after that I was easily able to stay with them (a pace of 30-40mph). They deffinately didn't need that much of a quad.

1BADYFZ
08-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Im sorry but unless you have mega bucks to play with the only 2 quads that can compete in todays world is the yfz and 450r. I have yet to see a different quad at my mx track.

Punk'd
08-03-2005, 03:11 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME....... This is the 3rd post in under 2mins I have read were there is a war..

We have some idiots fighting about SHOES and in another post diffrent types of FILES... GET ALONG ITS THE INTERNET That should be our number 1 rule on this site.

Yes, if you plan to do XC GNCC.. etc a Yfz or R will make a GREAT bike. Who cares about reverse. If your going to cry about how it doesnt have reverse sick with the 400s or whatever floats your boat, but dont come on here and fight about it because some people would like to enjoy there time insted of read a bunch of idiots fighting with there fingures.

EvilJester400EX
08-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
yes, yes you do, why would you ask such a stupid question

I've never ridden trails, I only race MX. Answer me this genius, what good is all that power when you can only use 2nd gear on a tight trail?

MOFO
08-03-2005, 03:56 PM
blah blah blah... another great thread full of I dont know what... :rolleyes:

A YFZ is fine in the woods - especially if its the right price. Just like any quad, it takes a bit to get used to gearing, clutch and how it handles - after that, you'll be fine. If there is something you do not like, you can always change it to match what you need (ie gearing, suspension...etc) :cool:

raptorrider686
08-03-2005, 07:32 PM

You forgot the Raptor:D