PDA

View Full Version : valves

QuadRacer18
08-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I went to check my valves because my timing chain went and i wanted to make sure i didnt bend any valves, i looked and the two exhaust valves are seated all the way in place and look fine. The piston has no markings and appears fine also. The intake valves were opened toward the inside of the head about an 1/8th inch and closed on the outer side of the head, is this normal? i want to make sure theyre not bent. They are both like this exactly the same! any help appreciated, pics of another cylinder to show this is correct would help!

95300exrida
08-02-2005, 12:05 AM
i dont have a 400ex but im guessing that is not normal

08-02-2005, 06:13 AM
do the valves seat?

you can always pull the valves out to get a better look at them.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-02-2005, 08:52 AM
sounds like you have bent valves.

TC426EX
08-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
sounds like you have bent valves.

Sound bent to me as well

QuadRacer18
08-02-2005, 10:46 AM
How would i get the valves to seat all the way? is there a way to do it manually with the head off? that way i wont have topull the valves..

08-02-2005, 11:26 AM
if the valves are bent then they need to be replaced. not bent back.

bwamos
08-02-2005, 02:22 PM
You need new valves.. and if they were bend.. probably need the seat reground.

I'd just send the head off and get a professional valve job done. I beleive most of the top shops like FST charge ~$50 per valve to do an oversized valve job.

FST (http://www.fourstroketech.net)

While youre in there.. even thought the valves were bent flat and there were no marks on the piston.. I'd tear her apart and double check to make sure nothing is stressed/cracked around the pin or rod on your piston.

The last thing you want is to fix your head and to have your engine gernade because of a hairline crack in the pin area of your piston.