PDA

View Full Version : Seating the bead on a tire

jjohnst03
08-01-2005, 08:43 PM
A friend of mizye gave me a set of Razr2 tires for my half used stock tires. There was nothing wrong with the Razrs at all. I rode with them on his rims for a couple of days to try them out before I decided if thats what I wanted to do or not. Anyways I took my tires and wheels and his tires and wheels to get them switched over.

When I get home I bolt up the Razrs and ride for a little while. After a little bit I realized that a tire was going down. I went to air it up and see if I could find where it was leaking at.

It was leaking around the bead of the tire. I could push the bead in and make it leak. So we broke the tire down and hit it with a compressor to reseat it. It held with about 30 psi in it, but when I went back down to 4 psi it would leak again and you could push the bead in.

So I take it back up to the tire place and let them reseat it. Its still doing the same thing! After looking at the rim and tire some more I can see where the rim is bent. Its not bad, but the rims are brand new! Its bent in two spots. Right around the outside part of the rim. Where the bead sets. I think thats why it wont hold.

Does anybody else think that could be it? If it is I am going to try to get the tire shop to replace it, but I dont know if they will or not. :(

smith_400ex_213
08-01-2005, 09:03 PM
is the rim bent or dented cuz if its dented just pound the dent wiht a hammer

jjohnst03
08-01-2005, 09:06 PM
its bigger than a dent, but its not a huge bend.

why should I have to use a messed up rim though? its not my fault that he used a huge breaker bar instead of doing it by hand.

the rim is only 2 months old. its not old enough to be beat on with a hammer. now if it where old like my other bikes rims then I would beat the crap out of it to fix it.

plkmonster2
08-01-2005, 11:42 PM
The rim or bike was probably dropped.

jjohnst03
08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I called the local bike shop today to price a rim. They want $250 for a stock rim. I went to service honda and they want $156 for one.

I went by the tire shop today and we are going to try it on the rim that it was on and if it seats then he will buy a new rim. If it doesnt then we will go from there.

He suggested putting a tube in, but I dont want that. I am going to look at the bead real good when we break it down to make sure they didnt screw it up.

crazyatvn
08-02-2005, 08:23 PM
No tubes in the rear tires unless you have beadlocks!

jjohnst03
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
It looks like the tire has finaly took. I rode on it on the rim today and it didnt go flat on me.

He told me to try it out and come back if it still goes flat.

The tire was in the back of my truck all day in the sun so I guess that helped seat it. All is good so far and I hope it finally worked!