PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid question

hondardr4life
08-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Ok, this winter I am selling the 330 and building a quad. I was originally just going to build an 86 250r. Well I have gotten a lot of seat time lately on a 450r, and I am thinking about sticking with the 4 stroke. I have never rode a 250r, but I like the way they look, and I have heard that they are the best sitting/handling quads ever. So I am hellbent on using an 86 250r frame, but I want to try to put in a crf450r motor. Now I know that the 450 motor is too tall to fit into the 250 frame, and I know someone is going to tell me to use a 400 frame, but I refuse to do that because I hate the way 400's sit and handle. I have had a couple people tell me that I could cut the upper frame rails on the R frame and raise them 2 or 3 inches to accept the 450 motor. Now that doesnt sound to insanely hard to me, but I just want to know what I am getting myself into, and if I should maybe just build the whole 86 250r. Like I said, I have never ridden a 250r, so I have no idea if I would like that power better than the 4 stroke power.

08-01-2005, 07:05 PM
you dont want to cut the frame, if your off a little than you will loose the handling you were after, is the yz426 motor just as tall as the crfs

hondardr4life
08-01-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure on the yz motor, but I don't really want to run one. I am a big Honda fan, and I know that yz has a lot of balls, but I would be kicking myself in the arse for using a yamie motor.

velocityatv
08-02-2005, 08:30 PM
You could do the whole cut and hack job. But just look at what you'd have to do to make things work. Here's a list I could just quickly come up with

Problems with a 250R wantabe HYBRID

- Cut, hack, chop, and mutilate a perfectly good R frame (BOOOO)
- Weld up all of the cutting and hacking well enough to withstand the added torque and weight of the motor. (lots of added weight)
- Raise the tank and plastic to clear the rocker cover. Than the problem of clearance at your steering stem to fuel tank becomes an issue.
- You would have to make your own exhaust mounts ( were as a 400ex or a hybrid made frame would have mounts that would work
- Then just the fact that the R frames are near 20 years old should be enough for you to stay away from a stock frame. And why spend the money to buy a aftermarket 250R frame just to hack it up.
- Need I say more GUSSETS GUSSETS GUSSETS
- The 400ex geometry is not that far off from a 250R. You'd become comfortable very quickly. If you enjoyed the ride of a 450R it would be an easier transition from a 450R to a 400ex than it would a 450R to a 250R

Lonestar Baja 450R hybrid frame or a Walsh frame is the only reliable way to go. You could do a stock 400ex framed hybrid for a lot less $, and I've rode some nice ones, that were done right. Buy a 400ex rolling chassis (minus motor) a CRF450 motor with carb and electronics and headpipe, and a mounting kit from lonestar, walsh, eastcoast atv..... Other than some minor things all else you'd need is an aftermarket slip on exhaust and a kick start extender. WALLA ...... CHEAP HYBRID

Remember the less you have to weld the better off you'll be.

hondardr4life
08-02-2005, 08:35 PM
You have got a good point. The problem is that I have a ton of seat time on 400's and I just can't get used to the feel at all. It feels like there is a valley in the seat that you sink into. I crash 400's so much on jumps and stuff like that. Looks like I'm going to have to say forget the 4 stroke idea, and just build a straight up, modified to hell 250r.

TheFontMaster
08-02-2005, 09:43 PM
I've been told that the yz450 motor will fit in a stock frame. Try doing something different. Mabey get the specs on the suzuki or kawi 450 dirtbike motor, cr500, or a ktm 520. If you want to do a hybrid do something that hasn't been done before, or you haven't seen alot of.

Cody_300ex
08-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I've been told that the yz450 motor will fit in a stock frame. Try doing something different. Mabey get the specs on the suzuki or kawi 450 dirtbike motor, cr500, or a ktm 520. If you want to do a hybrid do something that hasn't been done before, or you haven't seen alot of.

If he has the money for a suckuki, kawi, or KTM motor he should just stick w/ a CRF and get a aftermarket frame..... JMO

kyleschonert
08-02-2005, 10:26 PM
you gonna part ne thing out from that 330?