PDA

View Full Version : HELP! with front brakes

veddersbetter
06-03-2002, 05:18 PM
I loosened the bleeder screws to bleed them out since it seemed they were a little spongy and fluid poured out before I touched the brakes....now I have no front brakes....what happened????

veddersbetter
06-04-2002, 12:51 AM
am I bleeding the brakes wrong? Can someone tell me how to bleed the front brakes?

Leo
06-04-2002, 03:12 AM
fill the resevoir (and keep it full through the whole procedure, or you will have to start over..)

pump the brake lever a few times and hold it.. crack the L bleeder valve until fluid stops coming out, tighten the bleeder.. pump the brake lever a few times and then hold, then crack the bleeder..

continue doing this until no air comes out..

then repeat on the R side..

be carefull with the brake fluid, it will eat up just about anything (paint, etc..) so be carefull not to spill any on the bike, etc..

it's much easier just to go to the local parts store and get a "mity-vac" vacumn brake bleeder (~$25-$30) much easier, and much less mess!

Leo

veddersbetter
06-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Thanks a million Leo!

Sandgod4
06-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Front brakes. Break the seal on your master cylinder, don't remove cap. Get a small bungee cord and wrap it around the lever and the grip w/ the lever pulled against the grip. Walk away and let sit over-night. Next day release bungee, pump lever 20-30 times or so and wrap bungee w/ lever pulled against the grip and walk away. Later in the day come home from work release bungee, tighten up rezzy cap, you're done. You're bleeding the brakes in the opposite direction. No mess, no waste of fluid and you don't need two guys. Same for the rear except wedge a hammer between the rear brake pedal and frame. Will not work if you have changed brake lines. You must have some sort of pressure first for this to work!