PDA

View Full Version : fuel injection

450Rcarbonpro
08-01-2005, 03:25 PM
I am curious as to why most people are worried about fuel injection on atv's. I ask this because in motorsporting atv's are last or really close to last on the technology scale. Fuel injection is far superior in every way and has had sucess in every form of motorsporting. I think the only reason atv's haven't made the switch is due to manufacturing costs and demand. From a mechanical standpoint are there any drawback other than FI being more complicated? I was wanting you guys to touch on the performance perspective. And we all know you will need a very small battery to run it so weight is not an issue.

08-01-2005, 03:59 PM
say you want to add a different curve or have a problem with it. You better have a laptop on hand, software, and cables to do anything with it and it's just a chore

Mxracer53
08-01-2005, 04:01 PM
First it would take a manufactuer a few years to get the bugs out cost's money.second it would most likely have to have e-start.third it would cost alot more to modify your quad because you have to buy the software insteqad of a get kit.

450Rcarbonpro
08-01-2005, 04:48 PM
You guys are thinking like the cannondale fI system. Closed loop fuel injection is a better route. It uses an Oxygen sensor. I do believe the FI system on the new raptor has an oxygen sensor. You don't have to program closed loop systems as they self adjust. They usually have some program that calculates AF ratios, as opposed to non o2 sensor system needing mapping for input. It has been reffered to as a smart cpu. Also Fuel injection has been perfected for over 20 years on all types of applications. ATV's are way behind.

Mxracer53
08-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Well what happens if something goes wrong? If modify your quad there is no warranty so that is one expensive problem.

wistech
08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
say you want to add a different curve or have a problem with it. You better have a laptop on hand, software, and cables to do anything with it and it's just a chore

Have you ever tuned a fuel injected quad? You can dial in the machine and do dyno runs at a rate of about 1 change every 2 minutes. Try that with carburated anything.
Fuel injection is fuel injection. If you can work on your car you can work on your quad. If you can get online and are able read these forum you can use the software to work on fuel injection. Just like every other vehicle out there there is always resistance to change. Once you get it you will never go back.
The one thing that i wish evey manufacturer should do is include the software package in the initial price when you buy the machine. That would save a lot of confusion and guesswork for those who dont get it right away. They should be considered a maintenence tool just like a spark plug socket and tire guage.

450Rcarbonpro
08-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Warranty?? Its a void topic. The warranty goes on any carborated ATV when you do pipe, cam port ect........... Warrenty would be the same. Its not expensive either. the Fuel injection on the cannondale can be bought from the manufature at retail for about 600. I can get the top of the line fuel injection from motech for about 1500 closed loop and with smart cpu. It is complete bolt on. Tunes it self. Im sure the fI on the new raptor is less than 700 to replace the whole thing. What even would require an entire new system? You can buy each induvidual part. Its just really not that expensive as it used to be.