PDA

View Full Version : Anti-fade locknut question

TheFontMaster
07-31-2005, 09:55 PM
It's and LSR anti-fade, and how does it work?:confused: haha.

I got the 2 parts to the locknut, and the c clip for the axel, I screwed apart the 2 pieces to the lock nut, put the one piece on, then the c clip, then the other part. It still moves back and forth on the axel untill one part hits the c-clip. Am I missing something, or just doing something wrong.

K_Fulk
07-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Did you tighten down the round part, using a punch or allen wrench and the holes built into it?

TheFontMaster
07-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Did you tighten down the round part, using a punch or allen wrench and the holes built into it?

I tightened it down as much as I could by hand, but there is still a good inch or more movement in the anit-fade, so should I just try to tighten it, I just thought that if there was that much play as is that fully tightening it wouldn't do much. Mabey my thinking was wrong, I've never used an anti-fade before.

K_Fulk
07-31-2005, 10:05 PM
You should be able to tighten it enough there isnt any side to side movement. Before you tighten down the set screw.

K_Fulk
07-31-2005, 10:07 PM
You do have a antifade for a 250r dont you? If you have a 400ex anti fade it wont extend out enough.

TheFontMaster
07-31-2005, 10:09 PM
You do have a antifade for a 250r dont you? If you have a 400ex anti fade it wont extend out enough.

Well I thought the splines were different if it was for a 400ex, but I was told it was a 250r anti-fade, I got it off stocktires when he was parting out his 250r, so I know it came off a 250r. I gues I'll ask him.

K_Fulk
07-31-2005, 10:11 PM
The splines are the same. You can use a 250r antifade on a 400 axle, but you cant go the opposite way. Easiest way to check would be to see if your rotor fits on it. If it fits it is for a 250r.

I could tell you what was wrong better if you had a picture.

TheFontMaster
07-31-2005, 10:13 PM
The splines are the same. You can use a 250r antifade on a 400 axle, but you cant go the opposite way. Easiest way to check would be to see if your rotor fits on it. If it fits it is for a 250r.

I could tell you what was wrong better if you had a picture.

Well I'll see if I can find some working batteries for the camera, I would check if the rotor fit, but that is one of the little things I still need to get.

TheFontMaster
07-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Ok you asked for a picture you got 3. The first one is the locknut loose, the end goes in as far as it can. The second one is when the locknut is fully tightened by hand, it moves out a little. The 3rd one is how far out it goes before its stoped by the c-clip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/Picture237.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/Picture238.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/Picture239.jpg

K_Fulk
08-01-2005, 03:34 AM
Is the c clip in the top picture? Looks like it just needs tightend down more. Its deffinatley looks like a 250r anti fade.

TheFontMaster
08-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Is the c clip in the top picture? Looks like it just needs tightend down more. Its deffinatley looks like a 250r anti fade.

Yes the c-clip is on in the first pic, that is as tight as I can get it. The quad has no wheels or chain, so I cant put it in gear, or sit it on the ground against something so it wont move while I tighten it.

velocityatv
08-01-2005, 11:34 AM
How much slop does this thing have? 1/4" 1/2" 1-2"

Maybe it's just the picture but it kind of looks like the clip on the axle is going to deap into the anti fade. I could be wrong. I know on the RPM anti fades they insert a steel collar were the clip press' that way over time the clip doesn't wear slop into the nut.

The way you described it in your first post you said you'd taken the anti fade apart and slide on the threaded piece first then the clip then the nut portion.

You need to screw the nut together ( bottoming it out ) and then slide the entire assembly on as one piece, then place the clip on the axle. This should give you about 1/2" of play between the clip and the nut. Then, twisting the nut counter clock wise, thread the nut until it stops on the clip, eliminating the slop.

Everything you have looks correct. The only thing I would question is the first pic the positioning of the clip inside the anti fade. Hope you get it figured out.

TheFontMaster
08-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks velocityatv I'll try that, I figured I probably put it on wrong. This project is the first time I have been as in depth with some parts as I have, so I'm learning alot about how everything works. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if it worked or not.

TheFontMaster
08-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Ok I got it figured out, one more question though, there is a spot that looks like there should be a bolt, but there is no bolt, do I need one there?

K_Fulk
08-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Small bolt? Like where this slit is? If yes you need that to keep it tight.

TheFontMaster
08-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Small bolt? Like where this slit is? If yes you need that to keep it tight.

Yup thats it, I went to lowes today to try to find one that would fit, tomorow I'm goin to try another store. I just wanted to know before I put it back on cause I hate fighting with that c clip. Thanks for the help, I needed it.

K_Fulk
08-01-2005, 07:49 PM
The lsr's ive used have been standard allen bolts, not sure what size.

TheFontMaster
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
The lsr's ive used have been standard allen bolts, not sure what size.

Holly crap, I decide to look through my box that has my stainless steel bolt kit in it, decide to open up the bag that has the bolts for the headlight, because those bolts looked like they might fit, and I'm not running a headlight anyways, take out one bolt, the threads are right but it's a little short. So I take out another bolt thats longer and what do you know it was perfect. I was expecting to have to look through about 150 bolts before I found the right one. haha.