PDA

View Full Version : Problems

QuadRacer18
07-30-2005, 08:03 PM
I went riding the other day. The quad all a sudden started running like crap( bad throttle response and the engine kept dieing out) So i took it home and changed the gas beause i figured it had water in it. Then rode it with new gas and it ran the same as before, crappy. I heard slight ticking noise but didnt think anything of it so rode it. It rode a little better as time went on so i figured there was water in my carb. It would bogg if you got on the throttle quickly. Then all of a sudden i heard loud ticking noise and the quad shut off. It started back up and the noise cotinued, the quad wouldnt stay running unless you pumped the throttle. after being a jackass for riding it like i did i realize it was probably the timing chain so i took the clutch cover off and sure enough it was VERY loose. Could the sudden, very loud ticking noise, be from the chain getting real loose in an instant or maybe the chain jumping the teeth on the sprocket because it was so loose causing the timing to be kicked off worse???? Could it be something besides my timing chain even though its really loose. Can someone explain step-by-step on how to remove the timing chain, i have a manual but its still confusing. Do i need a special clutch basket puller and a gear to remove the primary drive sprocket? Thanks to whoever answers my questions!

IM me at Bmxharo2007 if needed!

QuadRacer18
07-31-2005, 09:47 AM
bump

Crazy400EX
07-31-2005, 11:43 AM
oh god.....i just got done changing my chain.......it was ticking real loud like yours. I put a crf 450 chain in it from c&d. GONE. thats what you need to do.

It's pretty strait forward what you need to do. Take the cover off, unscrew the bolts on the outside of the clutch, take off the big bolt on the inside of the clutch which is holding the hub on i do believe, slide your clutch off, make sure not to let the plates come off. Obviously you need to take the tensioner off and the cover off to look at your cam.

Next you loosen the bolt at the end of the sprocket next to your oil pump (not your cam sprocket), and slide the gears off, Take the chain off the cam and it should fall right into your hands.

These are the worst directions ever but at least its a start. Ask every question you have, its worth it to do it right the first time.

QuadRacer18
07-31-2005, 02:37 PM
what about taking the two large nuts off. Dont you need some sort of clutch puller and a gear to get them off???

Crazy400EX
07-31-2005, 05:36 PM
nope just use a socket wrench and turn.

QuadRacer18
07-31-2005, 06:31 PM
if you put a socket on and turn on the clutch it just turns... am i right, im confused, the manual says you need a clutch puller? any help...

kevkel
07-31-2005, 06:36 PM
I think your screwed! HA HA HA! Just kidding! Did you figure your bike out yet?

QuadRacer18
07-31-2005, 07:09 PM
i got it figured out and all, i just need a clutch puller so i can get the primary gear out to get the old chain out... the guy in this post said i dont need a puller though:confused: , hows the 450?

Crazy400EX
07-31-2005, 08:56 PM
you........dont need a puller. Just put something in the gears to stop if from turning and loosen it. I used a screw driver and a quick jerk.

QuadRacer18
07-31-2005, 09:01 PM
ehhh, anyone else recommend doing it this way?

Crazy400EX
07-31-2005, 09:16 PM
well put a shop rag around it first of course.......

sampleez
07-31-2005, 10:30 PM
i think you can get the nut off without a puller if you use an impact

but if not, try putting something in the gear that's softer than the metal of the gear.....like a penny or something. that way it'll mess up that b4 the gear

QuadRacer18
08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
ok, ill try an impact on it. It says something about having to grind the bolt down to get it off in the book, if i use an impact will i need to grind it down to get it off/

QuadRacer18
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
can anyone answer my question of do i have to grind down the clutch bolt like the manual says if i use an impact gun, any information on getting the clutch off would be useful!!!