PDA

View Full Version : uhh ohhh !

FasstMidnightZ
07-30-2005, 09:04 AM
well yesterday i was messin with the comp. Cleaning it etc, well i started to take the fan off the heat sink that i think is connected to the processor that is like a little chip that plugs into a little plastic piece. Well while i was cleaning the fan i decided to take the heat sink off and see the processor well while i was undoing the clips on the heat sink and pulling on the heat sink it finally came off. But, so did the processor. Then i immedietly was like OHHHH F*UCK. so i tried to put it back on and it wouldn't go on, come to find out some of the little metal things that stick out of it were bent. and ive tried soooo much to get them back strait but wont go in. So my question is if for some reason if i get it to go back in will it work ? or will i have to buy a new one ? and, how much is it gonna run me ? which is the question im nervos over.

and yes im on a diff computer. but, isnt mine

chucked
07-30-2005, 09:14 AM
You trashed it, time to buy a new one.

Fender Bender
07-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Wrong. It still will most likely work if the pin is all that is bent. Take the end of a 0.5mm mechanical pencil, and slide it over the bent pins and straighten them.

mntly_imptnt
07-30-2005, 01:45 PM
get the pins (little metal thingys) as straight as posible. be very carful and patient putting it back in the board. make sure all the pins go in correctly. i hope everything works out.:p

FasstMidnightZ
07-30-2005, 02:45 PM
k, thanks guys. I know that they are EXPENSIVE now i saw one thta waslike 328 bucks !!! . which is like a new computer. Another question i have is whats the white stuff that is like glue on the heat sink that was connected to the chip ?

Fender Bender
07-30-2005, 03:05 PM
That is thermal compound, helps to keep your CPU cool.

sly400ex
07-30-2005, 03:06 PM
It's a special bonding adhesive designed specifically for heatsinks....a computer store should have some.

07-30-2005, 04:08 PM
dont force it back in eaither, you have to accually lift up the lever that is on the side of the processor slot to get the processor back in.. THAT is how you bent a pin.. from forcing it.. it should literally fall into place.. Expect it NOT to work, but hope it does.

Jesse

07-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
It's a special bonding adhesive designed specifically for heatsinks....a computer store should have some.

survey says X.. dont reply to somthing if you do NOT have a clue on wtf your talkin about.. its not a "Adhesive" it is a thermal compound that aids in transferring HEAT from the PROCESSOR to the HEATSINK.. Go read a book or somthing.

Jesse

Fender Bender
07-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
survey says X.. dont reply to somthing if you do NOT have a clue on wtf your talkin about.. its not a "Adhesive" it is a thermal compound that aids in transferring HEAT from the PROCESSOR to the HEATSINK.. Go read a book or somthing.

Jesse

Werd... the processor and heat sink's contact points look flat to the human eye, but microscopically they aren't perfect at all. If you didnt use grease there would be air in between them which is a good insulator, thus creating more heat. The grease seals these "air pockets" so it stays as cool as possible.

07-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Did anyone bother to tell him the chip can only go back in in one direction????? :)

FasstMidnightZ
07-30-2005, 07:49 PM
O thank u soo much guys, so far ive got one side in but still working on the other. If i get it in and it works how long can it go with out that thermal glue stuff ? Like can it last just for tonight

FasstMidnightZ
07-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Well im glad to be posting this on my own computer ! After hours of work it finally went in. One thing i didnt know is that that little brown lever you had to pull up for it to go in.

Again thanks guys

FasstMidnightZ
07-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by bomb_squad
how long can it go with out that thermal glue stuff ? Like can it last just for tonight TTT

Fender Bender
07-30-2005, 11:29 PM
I would reapply it ASAP. Your CPU will just run a lot hotter.

tater_kamik
07-31-2005, 11:47 PM
not a great idea to run it without. amd's without a heatsink burn up very rapidly, intels take a little bit longer. the white compund (assuming it is from the factory and not ceramic) should be cleaned off and preferable replaced with something like artic silver. whenever you take the heat sink on and off be careful not to crush the processor. this can be a pain! you can see the temps by going to your bios, the limit for breakdown in amd's is 75c and 65 for amd's i think but i could be wrong