PDA

View Full Version : Chain Adjustment

jjohnst03
07-30-2005, 07:19 AM
I have searched the forums for this one, but havent ever found anything.

I bought my 04 400ex new a few months back now. I havent messed with the chain or anything yet. It needs to be tightened now, but I cant get the adjuster to move. I loosened the 4 bolts to the point that they would just pull out, but I still cant get the thing to turn either way! I have no clue whats going on with it. I cant figure out what would be holding it.

Any suggestions?

sprtrx300ex
07-30-2005, 03:23 PM
stick a allen wrench or screw driver in one of the slots on the sprocket hub, and pull in a backwards motion. Sounds like it just frozen. You might need to squirt some PBblaster in there and stand on the screw driver. If that dont work, get a hammer and hit the hub down to move it.

07-30-2005, 04:38 PM
or take the bolts out and pry a lil on the swing arm to make it open up some, but def. try to lube it up some first, its much safer

jjohnst03
07-30-2005, 07:56 PM
a buddy of mine that has rode 400ex's for a while got it for me. It was just super tight cause it had never been adjusted before. I tried the allen wrench and all that, but I wasnt putting enough on it. I didnt want to break it.

thanks for the suggestions though.

Chino
07-30-2005, 08:46 PM
That's all BS. The reason your bearing carrier is turning so tight is because you need to take the axle out and take the bearing carrier out and re-grease it. You will notice a night and day difference. It should turn with a slight push of the wrench. You may also need new bearings while your at it. Pull your carrier out, grease it, and it will turn like butta ~

jjohnst03
07-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Chino
That's all BS. The reason your bearing carrier is turning so tight is because you need to take the axle out and take the bearing carrier out and re-grease it. You will notice a night and day difference. It should turn with a slight push of the wrench. You may also need new bearings while your at it. Pull your carrier out, grease it, and it will turn like butta ~ The bike is brand new. It hasnt been rode hard enough to need new bearings. If it was 6 or 7 months old then I would agree, but I bought it in the middle of May. It had never been rode before I bought it. It had been at the dealer a few hours before I picked it up. Straight from the warehouse. I say the carrier is just tight cause its brand new.

Chino
07-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by jjohnst03
The bike is brand new. It hasnt been rode hard enough to need new bearings. If it was 6 or 7 months old then I would agree, but I bought it in the middle of May. It had never been rode before I bought it. It had been at the dealer a few hours before I picked it up. Straight from the warehouse. I say the carrier is just tight cause its brand new.

you still need to grease it man, w/e though you dont have to belive me i don't know jack chit ~

jjohnst03
07-30-2005, 10:58 PM
I didnt say that you didnt know what you where talking about. I said that it seems early for it to be something like that. I will check it out though just to be safe. Sorry if you took it as me saying you didnt know anything.