PDA

View Full Version : 2002 400ex for under $2000 with mods

Caseman2
07-29-2005, 10:16 PM
I am new to sport quads so this will be my first. So I dont plan on going "new". The guy that has it is around 23 and im sure the quad was used hard. The handle bars are not stright. If you arnt looking for it you will not see it. The plastics are pretty rough and are yellow with a red seat. That would have to be replaced. Mods are nerf bars , pipe (i forgot name) jetted, k&n, maxxis tires razo or something like that and aftermarket rims.

It runs good. Starts right up. I rode it only in his yard but that was limited. But i would not know what to look for anyways.

What do you guys think. This would be something my girl could ride for trailrideing. but thats just a reason so I can buy it.

Thanks
Casey

Caseman2
07-29-2005, 10:17 PM
also would this fit in the back of a 2000 Chevy S10 Zr2

Thanks
Casey

Jason250ex
07-29-2005, 11:32 PM
ummmm im pretty sure it would fit in the back as far as that question goes....just measure it

2004exrider
07-30-2005, 07:32 AM
sounds like a good deal to me. just try and check mainly engine and drive train. look to see if there is any leaks by the headgasket, the motor isnt knocking (its normal for it to have a little valve tick), check what color the oil is that will show you if he keeps up with maintenance, see that it doesnt smoke when you first start it up or when being ridden. if you can, take it to a bigger area so you can really ride it so you can make sure evewrything is alrite with it. go thru every gear on it, make sure the clutch doesnt slip, and look at the sprockets and chain to see that they dont have more than usual wear.
But the 400ex is a very bullet proof engine, i highly doubt there will be anything wrong with it.

Jimmy

250xridamatt
07-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Check out the frame. Look for paint coming off in places where it wouldnt be rubbed off. It is a sign of a cracking frame. Look for welds, or bends, or anything that would show how much it has been beat on, or how bad it had been wrecked.

Caseman2
07-30-2005, 08:11 AM
thanks guys.

I think for my first sport quad it will work for me.

Thanks
Casey

400exc
07-30-2005, 09:07 AM
sounds good, that isnt the worst i have heard of, but sounds like if you put a little money into it, it will run fine

fasterthanyouex
07-30-2005, 06:29 PM
yeah definalty check the frame i got my 400ex and put about 2 grand in it and i think it is better than stock..of couse with mods runs good ..Definaly just check out the quad first

Jonas
07-30-2005, 09:27 PM
As long and you check what was previously said, I would buy it. You should be able to fix it up, if you want, and turn around and sell it for a $1,000 more than that. I just sold my modded 2000 400ex for $4,500.

jdwxv3
07-30-2005, 09:40 PM
I would look at all the bearings. Wiggle the Axle, swingarm, hubs and also check the A-arm bushings. I would also make sure it shifts fine through all the gears(we have had 2 400ex's in the last year lose 2nd gear one is an 04 and one is an 02) As far as the paint chipping there will be stress on certain areas and the paint will naturally chip off due to flex it does not automatically mean the frame is cracked or is going to crack because there has to be give somewhere. The only problems with frames I have ever had on a 400ex was right above where the front shocks mount up. I have also broke a few swingarms up close the the front of the swing arm so check that also. I would stand the quad up on end preferably against a brick wall or a wall with strait lines to see if the frame is bent in the front. If it is it will lean towards one way or another.ummm... On a maintence note I would also see if the air filter is clean because this is probaly more important than changing the oil. I think that is it. So basically wiggle and shake every moving part to make sure no bearings or bushings are out, check the oil, air filter, sprokets, and you could also look at the brake rotors(some people run metal on metal and ruin the rotor big sign of abuse) But overall I would say go for it. Oh one last thing. Take a peak at the front lower a-arms, I have had a few break off where the shock bolts on in the front(they rust from the inside) Good luck and keep us informed. Later, Josh

Caseman2
07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
You guys are great!

I will be sure to look into it a bit more when I go back.

I will keep you updated.

Later
Casey

DeerNuts
07-31-2005, 02:34 PM
The quad's having dark oil will not necessarily indicate it should've been changed last year. It breaks down pretty quick and will be dark after just a few rides... well depending on how hard/ how long it is ridden for of course.