PDA

View Full Version : Port Mapping

rockman
07-29-2005, 09:42 PM
anyone know where i can find port maps online. i have a friend who is going to port my R all i need is the maps. thanks
:D

Dave83
07-30-2005, 07:29 AM
try macdizzy.com.I have seen a "lesson on mapping" over there.

wilkin250r
08-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't get it.

If you're friend knows what he's doing, why can't he create his own port maps?

If he doesn't know what he's doing, then why is he doing it? I'm all for trying something new, sure. Everybody has to start somewhere. I am at that point, ready to try porting my own cylinder, but that's because I already know how to create my own maps, and I know what specs I am going to be shooting for. I have already done my research, now I'm ready to try it.

If you're friend (or you) haven't done the research, then why are you even thinking about attempting it? Do you know all that is involved?

rockman
08-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Man we work at a yamaha kawasaki dealership we know what we're doin we just don't have the resources.

machwon
08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
The dizzy site does give some porting spec info, and they should tell you how to do a map of an existing cylinder. The maps to me are a waste of time, if you're trying to draw it first and then port with it. If your buddy gets a map, how will he know whether the durations are going to fit the type of motor build you want?

rockman
08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
all he told me was that i need to find/make the map i want and he would be able to port it to that. the problem is i don't know how to make a map. i will prolly just give him the specs from the dizzy site

08-02-2005, 07:04 PM
There is a company out there that sells port maps for jetski's i think i saw a 250r map on that site have to remember the name of the company.

machwon
08-02-2005, 08:14 PM
To make a port map, take a piece of card stock paper and insert it in the cylinder. Draw a line where the overlap point is. Take a pencil and try to shade in the entire paper, over the area where the ports are. When the pencil (drawing on the paper), hits the edge of the port, it will be darker there. Do this around all the ports and you will see the mapped layout of a stock cylinder. Remove the paper from the cylinder and re-align the pencil mark at the overlap point on the paper and now you have your port map.

wilkin250r
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Well, anybody monkey with tools can start grinding on a cylinder. The real difficulty is knowing WHAT to cut. That's the true legwork in porting, is the research behind it all, knowing the effects of what you're doing.

People generally aren't willing to just start handing out port maps. A lot of work and effort have gone into those things.