View Full Version : Want to be a pro rider?

infantry317
07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Talk about dedication. We were at a local track that we were getting tired after 5 laps on. Daryl (Rath) pulls up unloads his wheeler says hi, gets on the track and goes after a warm up lap. My buddy lost count at 45 laps. Then he loaded up and went home. Daryl is in his late 30's and does this every day during the week.

That's dedication. :eek2: I'm sure the other big dogs have routines like this or even more. It's something to see.

trict_out
07-29-2005, 05:23 PM
i never really understood how fast pro riders were until Jeff Stoes run me off the track at a local harescramble. They really are unbelievable.

Allen
07-30-2005, 06:54 AM
I ran a local harescramble one time and a few pros showed up...all I remember is that I came in top ten overall and I got 5 laps in and Chris Jenks won the overall and got nine laps in...

he is crazy fast...

JenniferRath
07-30-2005, 07:03 AM
He has been training hard and riding a ton- alot of the riders ask Daryl for training tips- diet etc and the advice he gives most often is training and conditioning EVERYDAY!!! It is hard to compare anything to seat time!

I will let him know you thought he was pretty good for an old guy!

You can be the fastest guy on the track but if you can only run that pace for 2-3 laps it really doesn't matter much;)

redrider9045
07-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Ya like pro mx they have to run 30 minutes thats 30 minutes of pushing it really hard

Fred55
07-30-2005, 09:34 PM
its 20 minutes plus one lap

roostin_dale
07-30-2005, 09:42 PM
when i practice i go 6 laps warmup...then i take a break then i will run two 20 minute motos....then after that i will ride till i am just tooo tired to go anymore.

I really want to race Pro-am at nationals next season but my big downfall is jumping...i just cant jump like the pro-am guys do.

hardkoratvmxr
07-30-2005, 09:56 PM
hey dirk come ride with me and i will show ya how to jump like the big boys on my 300 lol j/p

roostin_dale
07-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
hey dirk come ride with me and i will show ya how to jump like the big boys on my 300 lol j/p

yea yea yea...I cased a 115 footer today in my race...trying to get pumped up so i can hit it tomorrow!

hardkoratvmxr
07-30-2005, 10:12 PM
well my 300 is lucky to see 11.5 feet with one works and one stock shock even though i did get second in both fair motos with that setup lol

Shawn H
07-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Daryl (Rath) pulls up unloads his wheeler says hi, gets on the track and goes after a warm up lap. My buddy lost count at 45 laps. Then he loaded up and went home. Daryl is in his late 30's and does this every day during the week.

Daryl is really fast and a threat each time he is on the track!!

I believe Some people dont have much time and have to make the best of there practice time when they get it>

20 Minute Motos easy!!
Race for 2+hrs full blast that takes training!

JenniferRath
07-31-2005, 09:05 AM
I wish it was the fact he just had all that spare time around!! He has me (wife) 4 kids - (who race) and a business to run - and race himself at the local and nationals.
Don't get me wrong there never seems to be enough time in anyone days it is a matter of making some adjustments to make time-
He actually came back from the track and showered went back into the shop and worked.

Shawn H
07-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Your right!

I AGREE totally!

I have a wife 3 kids with 1 thats old enough to race and My job. You definetly have to make time to practice/train as well as spend time at home.

Thank goodness there are Wives/Women out there like mine and you that enjoy and put up with some of the crap we do as racers :cool:

JenniferRath
07-31-2005, 12:07 PM
:D I am sure your wife keeps a little scorecard of her own too...of all the crap you racers do;) just so we know where we stand when it is time for the infamous honey-do list:)

infantry317
07-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by JenniferRath
:D I am sure your wife keeps a little scorecard of her own too...of all the crap you racers do;) just so we know where we stand when it is time for the infamous honey-do list:)

Ain't that the truth...:devil:

smr
08-01-2005, 11:44 AM

I hope my wife doesn't see this thread..:eek2:

QuadJunkies
08-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I wish it was the fact he just had all that spare time around!! He has me (wife) 4 kids - (who race) and a business to run - and race himself at the local and nationals.
Don't get me wrong there never seems to be enough time in anyone days it is a matter of making some adjustments to make time-
He actually came back from the track and showered went back into the shop and worked.

Boy , I DO know how you feel! And to top it off Troy and I work opposite shifts 5- days a week, so we try to cram it all into a wk end

cdalejef
08-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by trict_out
i never really understood how fast pro riders were until Jeff Stoes run me off the track at a local harescramble. They really are unbelievable. Sorry man, it wasn't intentional :(

QuadJunkies
08-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Sorry man, it wasn't intentional :(

ROAD HOG... :eek: :p ;)