PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Tranny Problem Help!!!!

TCSMotorsports
07-28-2005, 11:05 PM
I was fixing a warrior tranny, third gear broke a tooth and 3rd gear pinion bent and cracked another tooth, replaced both gears. Put everything back in cases, put them together and made sure everything shifted fine, which it did, and everything else looked and moved really good. So I decided to seal the case halves and put all the rest of it together, following the yamaha service manual. Got it in the bike and everything on it to be able to start it, filled it with oil, and decided to start it. Started fine ran good sounded good no funny noises until I shut it off, it made a "clunk" sound. I know hard to tell by that but I tried it a couple of different times and did the same thing. I didn't have a chain on it yet so I tried shutting it off in both neutral and in gear did the same either way. One thing I did notice about it is when it is in gear and the countershaft sprocket is spinning it, when the motor is shut off it "clunks" at the same timne the countershaft sprocket stops spinning. That would lead me to believe it is in the tranny somewhere, not positive though. next decided to put a chain on it to see if maybe that would fix it by chance and no luck. Any ideas what might be wrong? Anybody else had a problem similar to this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sean

plkmonster2
07-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Does it shift fine? Sounds like a starter clutch to me. Make sure it was all together right. My cousin's fat cat clunks because the starter clutch is shot.

plkmonster2
07-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Forgot to tell you that it stops the sprocket when it clunks because it is engaging the starter once the rpm's get too low. Sounds like it could be in backwards. The starter has alot of resistance, so it stops the motor. Also, put it in 5th, and try to bump start it real slow. Can you hear the starter whirr sometimes? If it does, the clutch is shot, or in wrong.

TCSMotorsports
07-29-2005, 09:57 AM
It does shift fine thru all the gears. I fiddled with it this morning and I am thinking it might have to do with the starter. I will take a look at it this evening when i get home. Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep you posted.

Thanks
Sean