View Full Version : pipes

stalefish_132
07-28-2005, 05:50 PM
what is a good pipe/scliencer that isn't loud? i'm talking like very mellow. i'm looknig at a '86 R that has a older DG pipe thats super loud :eek: and if i get the R i need to cange pipes because my dad doesn't like loud 2 strokes so any help would be great ;)

and yes i tryed the http://www.atvriders.com/images/usercp/search.gif button buti didnt find whta i was looking for.

HiperEX
07-28-2005, 08:18 PM
your best bet is going to be a stock pipe and silencer any pipe will be louder then stock

YFZRob
07-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
your best bet is going to be a stock pipe and silencer any pipe will be louder then stock

I couldn't agree more. A great portion of the noise comes from the pipe itself. You're hearing the explosion basically echo severly through the thin walls of the aftermarket pipe. The stocker is much beefier, which cuts down on this noise significantly. A quiet silencer like a Pro Circuit Type 496 will only help the noise coming out of the back of the quad.

stalefish_132
07-28-2005, 09:35 PM
the stock pipe isn't very light and isnt the best performance pipe and iwas thinking of a esr trx 5 or 6 and a fmf or procircut silencer i dunno maybe just a fmf or procirsut expansine chamber. any other idea's?

zedicus00
07-29-2005, 05:55 AM
my esr trx 5 is by no means unbearably loud. plus esr sells a 'quiet' can too and it helps quit a bit. mine is just a normal trx 5 and its no where near as loud as a 4 stroke that has a stock pipe.

velocityatv
07-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Any pipe made of thick wall steel, instead of tin will be quieter. I run an LRD adjustable with an ESR silencer. Just repacked it and it's a good mellow tone. Not loud and tingy, granted when you open it wot it gets louder, but o well.

200386250r
07-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Does anybody know the Decibel level a stock exhaust puts out on an R

JTRtrx250r
07-29-2005, 09:49 AM
some of the stock Honda pipes and silencers have silencer packing and a core inside(just like a silencer), thats why they're so much heavier and quiet compared to the thinner hallow aftermarket pipes

running a bigger carb w/o no airbox lid will also add to the noise factor

YFZRob
07-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
running a bigger carb w/o no airbox lid will also add to the noise factor

That's also very true. I couldn't believe how much louder my overall noise became after pulling the airbox lid off, and that was when it was still bone stock.

stalefish_132
07-29-2005, 11:11 AM
thanks for the replys i found a good deal on a 03 Z400 for $3800 canadian so it might be that a 400ex or a R ( I'm leaning to the R but any thing would be sweet right now)

thanks ;)

YFZRob
07-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Jordan,

Just to comment on your decision....

If you are mechanically inclined and plan on doing the work on your quad yourself, or have a family member or good friend who can do the work, buy the R, but otherwise, it'll be a never ending headache if you have to pay a shop or dealer to work on it. If you want something completely maintenance free, find a completely rebuilt R, or buy the 400EX or Z400. A normal wear and tear 250R will most likely need attention on certain areas whether it's the motor, bearings, seals, suspension, frame, brakes, ect.

stalefish_132
07-29-2005, 02:03 PM
thanks for the concern YFZROB but yes i am mechanically inclined last winter i did the top and bottom and clutch in my KX125 and i just finished restoreing a little CR80. I know there are lots of people that think they know what they are donig and end up with a big mess. the R that i'm looknig at just had the top end done and the whole front end and rear end was gone though (bearings, seals and breaks) and my dad actually painted the frame for the guy last fall. (my dad does auto body for a living)

thanks for the coments YFZROB;)

YFZRob
07-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a nice R, and you sound like the right person to own one. How much is the seller asking if you don't mind me asking?

stalefish_132
07-29-2005, 03:11 PM
i think he wants $3700 canadian. picture sliver maier plastic with k&k flame graphix and seat cover, candy apple red frame, baja rims on the back and .190's on the front, razr 2's, omf air scoops, renthals, the DG is the only ugly thing on it lol.

we will see what happens

YFZRob
07-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Not bad....sounds like a decent deal! I just returned my 88 250R back to almost 100% stock except for the carb, reeds, pipe, front shocks, and tires. The pipe is an ESR TRX5 and I'm very pleased with it. On the 310 kit I had, it fit like crap and the powerband wasn't what I expected. Now on the stock unported jug, it comes on strong at a lower RPM than I expected (for a stock jug), and revs out harder on the top end than it did with the 310 kit!! Anyway, I would suggest this pipe, and check into the "quiet" option that zedicus00 mentioned from ESR. I am running mine with a turbine core 2 FMF silencer since the ESR one was not USFS approved and was too loud. The sound coming out of the back of it is significantly lower than most piped 4 strokes, it's just the sound in the expansion chamber that you don't have a on a thumper.

stalefish_132
07-29-2005, 06:34 PM
yeah if i get it i might just put a silencer on it for the time being.

ttyl