PDA

View Full Version : Calling on all toy hauler/RV owners

JohnO
07-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Well it's taken me 39 years of living but my dream has come true. My family has finally grown into toy hauler status.

Here's the situation. I don't know much about this new area of life and was wanting real world feedback on do's and don'ts. Flyers and salesmen will only get you so far.

I only have a half ton so I'm limited to a toy hauler around the 24 feet area to stay under 10,000GVWR. What should I look for in one and if it is used, what is a bad sign?

Another way I could go is to get a bigger (used) RV and pull my enclosed trailer with it. Again I don't know what to look for in one.

So all of you owners out there, I want to know of any lessons learned on your parts that I can benefit from. I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.

Bad Habit
07-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I'll give you two pieces of advise.

1) Find a good dealer. Ask the dealer for references of previous/current customers that you can call to ask how their experience with the dealer has been. Try to find out how well their service after the sale is, how thoroughly and quickly do they handle problems that arise (and they will, no manufacturer is perfect). If the dealer is good, they won't freak out from this request.

2) Figure out what size you think you need, then get at least the next size bigger. If you are limited on the size of toyhauler you can get because of your tow vehicle, I can almost promise you that you will wish that you had more room very soon. At first I used to think that my toyhauler was too big (33' 5th wheel). But it didn't take long that I was wanting something a little bigger, or more precisely, more comfortable. I thought "but it's 33', anything bigger would be a pain". Now I realize that the hauler being too big is only an issue at very limited times.....when you are pulling in someplace. When you are pulling it down the highway it doesn't matter one bit if it's huge. When you are enjoying it while at your destination, you will appreciate all the room very much. If you consider all the time spent going down the highway with it, and all the time spent at your destination, the brief time of inconvenience you might have getting it in a tight spot is irrelevant.

Good luck in your decision. Once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Joecool1264
07-29-2005, 07:49 AM
I've got a KIT Mfg. Xtreme34 ft. it's a bumper pull triple axle. It's roomy but it is a handful to pull and park. Also the triple axle doesn't seem to turn well when it's fully loaded with Quads, gear, tires & gas. The lift mech. on the rear bed is a hatch type gas cylinder like on a cars hood or rear hood. It's kinda weak and hard to use. We just leave it down. My buddy has a Jayco talon 24 ft. It's real nice. The little stuff knobs,windows,doors,trim etc just seem to be better quality. You're on the right track you can't beat a toy hauler. My opinion Good luck. Joe