View Full Version : "thingy" that adjusts the chain?

gdkarma
07-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Where do you get these wrenches that are needed to adjust the chain tension? Are there different sizes, and if so, how do you know what size is needed? I have an old 3 wheeler that needs some TLC, and tightening the chain is needed real bad.

duke416ex
07-28-2005, 01:26 PM
An old atc, I guess you mean on elike on a atc250r, those were fun, I remember them very well. I would just check at the honda dealer and see if you can buy on, I started using a screwdriver or something on mine and quite messing with the wrench. If you can't get anything to work, they resemble the wrenchs you use to adjust coilovers on cars, try to find some of them. Hope this helps.

gdkarma
07-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Yes, it is an old air-cooled 250R that I am trying to fix up.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I look forward to any other's that come forward!

duke416ex
07-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Where have you been finding parts at, I have an 84 that was my first bike I have been wanting to fix it up for a while. I need a tank cause mine is rusted some inside.

gdkarma
07-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Coooool, I have the '83 model!

I look almost every day on Ebay for what is newly listed for atc 250R, and just about anything can be found, but it might take a while for hard to find parts. I just found a big bore (300cc) cylinder and head, and can't wait to find a lower end to start building it up. I would have a hard time parting with the one I have now, just because I can say I have one, and they're a challenge to ride. I guess that is what makes them so appealing to me right now. I haven't had this one but about a year, and just love spending the time working on it or trying to find parts.

prepracing
07-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
An old atc, I guess you mean on elike on a atc250r, those were fun, I remember them very well. I would just check at the honda dealer and see if you can buy on, I started using a screwdriver or something on mine and quite messing with the wrench. If you can't get anything to work, they resemble the wrenchs you use to adjust coilovers on cars, try to find some of them. Hope this helps.
thats a spanner wrench, not sure if honda dealers can still get them or not. Good luck finding one

DvxDirtSlinger
07-28-2005, 10:22 PM
hit up 3wheelerworldforums.com

gdkarma
07-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
thats a spanner wrench, not sure if honda dealers can still get them or not. Good luck finding one

It is a little bit different size than my 400EX. Where do you buy a new one for the 400EX? Maybe it will work, but not sure. My tool kit that came with the used 400EX doesn't have one either.

prepracing
08-10-2005, 10:08 PM
actually the 400ex uses the allen wrench that comes in your tool pouch that you use to loosen the bolts in the rear of the swingarm. The L shaped end fits in the slot on the carrier. Honda probably won't sell one separate, but they might