PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Case on 450r...wat to do?

FoxRacing81
07-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Alright, just got done talking to my friend. He has an 05' 450r. He just got done telling me that the case is cracked right around where the shifting shaft goes in and the shifting shaft all ripped out and everything...I think he said it's cracked in a few more spots too...

I looked up the price on Alba for a new left and right side crank case...almost 600 bucks...probably another 400 for labor if not more....what can he do?

He is interested in a nice 250r if his mom will go for a straight up trade how it is....or possibly a new motor...

The motor has already been apart and has new cam chain, 2 new valves, new tensioner spring, new valve seals i think, and new rings...and it's not even a year old!

If anyone knows anything about what we can do, lemme know.

-Justin

chad502ex
07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
Alright, just got done talking to my friend. He has an 05' 450r. He just got done telling me that the case is cracked right around where the shifting shaft goes in and the shifting shaft all ripped out and everything...I think he said it's cracked in a few more spots too...

I looked up the price on Alba for a new left and right side crank case...almost 600 bucks...probably another 400 for labor if not more....what can he do?

He is interested in a nice 250r if his mom will go for a straight up trade how it is....or possibly a new motor...

The motor has already been apart and has new cam chain, 2 new valves, new tensioner spring, new valve seals i think, and new rings...and it's not even a year old!

If anyone knows anything about what we can do, lemme know.

-Justin

ship the engine to me and i'll fix it back to what he had or better. It will cost him parts and labor of coarse,... ;)

BSTURDIVANT
07-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Just replace left side crankcase!

FoxRacing81
07-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
Just replace left side crankcase!

from what he was saying, the right side might be cracked also.

370kingR
07-27-2005, 04:52 PM
I got it.....buy my low hour NMotion 520 cc motor, install, and whalla, your rippin again, much faster! Mayby ill consider a trade for your banged up motor + cash....

450robot
07-27-2005, 06:16 PM
just look for an engine case repair shop, theres a couple in the back of dirtwheels and atv sport, and there rates are pretty low,

i would give that a try

i would never trade my 450r for an outdated 250r (even though i miss mine)

FoxRacing81
07-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 370kingR
I got it.....buy my low hour NMotion 520 cc motor, install, and whalla, your rippin again, much faster! Mayby ill consider a trade for your banged up motor + cash....

How much cash would you want if he traded the old motor?

roostin_dale
07-27-2005, 08:22 PM
buy the cases and do the labor yourself. It wont cost too much for just the cases, just a pain to tear apart the motor.

fastrider450r
07-27-2005, 08:23 PM
i you dont trade motors i would try the case repair in the magazines

kargaaro
07-28-2005, 05:03 AM
I had a cracked right side. It was not that expensive for a new one. Go to http://www.servicehonda.com/ and find all the parts you need and do it yourself. It was not hard. Do NOT scrap your motor.

JRDrider22
07-28-2005, 05:39 AM
yea the shaft is anothe one though. the part the shifter attches to. that goes all the way into the bottom of your motor. i just weld pieces over it and then weld my shifter to the piece...its hard to explain but it works and saves money

Jersey450R
07-29-2005, 06:50 AM
i cracked the case on an old 250X, about 1" by 2"! I used a metal mesh then JB welded it over. Then i layed 4 pennies down and JB welded it again after the 1st application was dry (about 24 hours). $4.04 and the the case is still fine to this day 7 years later. (sold it to a buddy). This is an option if you dont want to spend fifteen hundred dollars and probably at least a month down from riding.