PDA

View Full Version : '05 Honda 250EX starter won't work

Pdarnall
07-27-2005, 06:50 AM
My new Honda TRX250EX's starter quit working after a full day of riding yesterday. The kids had been starting stopping and riding all over the place through some pretty good size bump and mud/water holes. When we tried to start the EX up to load it on to the trailer the starter button did nothing.

The headlights are working just fine. Pushing the starter button with the headkight on doesn't cause the light to dim so I'm guessing the battery is fine.

Do you think the mud/water crossings could have caused something to come disconnectinged in the electrical?

This incident really makes me appreciate the kick starter on the 450R and the extra pull starter on the TRX250TM Recon!!!

Thanks,

300exOH
07-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Might want to check your ground and the fuse

enduro400rider
07-27-2005, 08:11 AM
sometimes the starter will freeze up and you can take a hammer and kinda tap on the starter a couple of times and spray some WD40 in it.

jak1389
07-27-2005, 08:17 AM
open it up and clean it out. you could just have some dirt in their.

bwamos
07-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Check the obvious first.

Did you leave it in reverse??? Most Hondas won't start in reverse.

That would be my guess since it's not even trying to turn over.. it's not the killswitch, sparkplug or anything carb related.. it's just not turning over at all.

Take it out of reverse and try again. ;)

YFZ450Ridr
07-27-2005, 09:34 AM
you might have gotten a little water or dirt in the starter button itself and/or your getting bad contact.

Pdarnall
07-27-2005, 10:04 AM
It was running fine when my daughter parked it in neutral next to the trailer and turnrd it off with the key. So I've kinda ruled out spark plug, carb and other hard parts.

I triple checked the reverse issue - it's in neutral, the red light is off (the green light is on) and we were able to roll it on to the trailer. It's acting just like it's in reverse...

I flipped all of the switches several time and the light switch is working fine. So I'm hoping that not enough water entered in to the control switches to zap the starter (fuse?). The owners manual came with an extra fuse...may be that was a hint from the factory? I'll check that too.

I need to find my can WD-40 and blast it in to the switch and starter wires.

Thanks for all of the great tips!!! The search continues...

Pdarnall
07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Fuse is fine - check.

Ground and wires are tight - check.

Disassembled switch housing and cleaned it out with WD-40 - check.

Cleaned red reverse switch/button on on left lever - check.

Called dealer's service department for appointment. They said to bring it in ASAP - check!

Philip

Israeli 300EX
07-30-2005, 05:46 PM
It can be also the relay.

Item No 8 at this link (http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/hondaparts/results_parts_details?mv_session_id=bKnthevN&mv_pc=141&se=pg_d_id%3d526%20and%20pg_my_id%3d108)

Try to connect directly its two main connectors (those with the bolt on) and see if it gets started.

If not- check if the starter gets "+" at time you press the starter button (and you in starter position).
You can do so by using a test lamp (one side on the starter wire and the other on good "-" on some bolt on the frame).

If the starter getting + and - , you have problem inside the starter.

If the starter does not getting + on its wire (or the ground not fine) it can be some other things.

If the starter is good and the bike start when you connect the tow main wires on the relay- see that things:

Find a grey plug that connects to the left side of the frame – under the fuel tank.
That plug passes some wires to the switch on the handle bar.
Check the red and the black wire pass by that plug.

Switch will be at “on” and you have to find before the plug a“+” on the red and a “-“ at the black wire.
After you find plus and minus before the plug go to check the same after the plug.
(I’m trying to find out is there is continues of the red and black wires via this plug)

If you find one of them damage, cut it and connect it by pass.
It will solve the starter problem.
I bet that the red wire is damage….

I’ll be more than happy to help you find and fix the problem.
Just let me know what you find there.

Bye
Boaz - Israel

Israeli 300EX
07-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Just now i sow it is 05...

go and get a free service at your dealer.

do not cut anything.

Pdarnall
08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
I went to the dealer to pick-up my 250EX today. Their are two wires that hang down on the left side of the the rear sub-frame. Look right above the left rear wheel for two wires that are connected to the frame. One of those wire was jarred and slightly dissconnected and that brought the EX's starter to a stand-still...

I'm going to wrap both wires in electrical tape before I hit the trail next week!!!!

Philip