PDA

View Full Version : the 90 - noise in rear is howling

sunco
07-27-2005, 05:12 AM
The howling sound comes from the back of both an 02 & 03 models that I have. They are both red. I have a yellow 02 & haven't had that issue. What's the noise coming from & how do I fix it? I don't have a wrench for that big nut either. What size is that? Thanx.

Quadworks
07-27-2005, 05:29 AM
For some reason the red ones must of escaped the factory with some kinda faulty axle bearings. Most all yellow 90s will last for years. Just kidding! More than like are the axle bearings. Need to go buy a new set from your dealer or a local bearing store(cheaper) if they can match/cross the numbers. You should be able to use a big cresent wrench (works on my 400). Good luck.

sunco
07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
I stopped @ honda & the bearing parts I think are like $75 bucks. The problem who be that they'd have to order them. So that means taken one apart (naturally a red one) & waiting. Maybe I should try someone selling honda parts from the magizines. Thanx for the info - has this happen to your red one the escaped the factory? I can still let the kids run them - whats it gonna do - make noise or be bad.

Quadworks
07-28-2005, 05:18 AM
It hasn't happened yet to mine, because I bought the yellow version(400EX). You can let them ride it if you want but you take a chance at the bearings going completly out and tearing up the housing/carrier. I would just take 1 apart and go to a local bearing dealer (look in phone book) and match them up it will be alot cheaper than $75.

sunco
07-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Thank you - I'll take your advice. Think the auto parts store would have it?

Quadworks
07-29-2005, 05:14 AM
You can try the parts store , but I would say no. Look in the phone book under bearings and go there. the should have them in stock, I bet.