PDA

View Full Version : **Need Drag Race Advice**

nowukno
07-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Im going to my local drag way in a couple nights for atv night and im going to enter in the competition. Im a very good rider and im very good at drag racing (on dirt). I have rode on pavment before but never tried racing , should i just setup really , really far on take off or should i just pull out a little easier. Im afraid i will rare back to much and lose the drag or pull out to slow and lose the drag. Has anybody had experience at a drag strip or draging on pavment?

07-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Get a small wheelie bar ;)

nowukno
07-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by DierWolf
Get a small wheelie bar ;)

From where?

07-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Make one (tubular design)

07-26-2005, 10:03 PM
dont do what this guy on the banshee does:p

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Banshee-vs.-400EX-ATVz

nowukno
07-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah , that's what im afraid of.

Mxjunkie
07-26-2005, 10:34 PM
launching in 2nd gear would save your butt a little, that or instead of dumping the clutch, ease it out, work your way up in speed and once your rolling let her rip.

fasterblaster09
07-26-2005, 10:39 PM
I take off in second.But I dont wory about letting of easy,i just pop it,and elan forward then lean back.

nowukno
07-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks 4 the advice guys , im going 2 have 2 find a good paved spot around here somewhere and practice a little.

Nausty
07-27-2005, 01:10 AM
drag racin huh? Well who got off first? How long till both of u hit second. I'm guessin you guys were running some high rpms. Drag racings not my thing!

launching in would save your butt a little, that or instead of dumping , ease it out, work your way up in speed and once your rolling let her rip.

i just pop it in,and elan forward then lean back.

400exrules
07-27-2005, 01:11 AM
just get their early and practice

TCracin440ex
07-27-2005, 08:33 AM
well unless you have completely bald tires...your not gonna be able to take off in 2nd gear....ive been to dragstrips and you have to ride the hell out of the clutch til you get it all the way out...you just cant let it go...remember they have track prep on that shyt and its STICKY AS HELL...so there is no way your taking off in 2nd gear, and there is no way your gonna just dump the clutch off the line because your going to stand straight up and you will loose...

i can proally take off hard in first gear on my 400ex tho because i have completely bald holeshot mxs...and i used to get on the road and just take off really hard in first gear and she wouldnt stand up at all....

Ridin' Jesse
07-27-2005, 09:05 AM
lean forward 2nd gear pinned, drop the clutch and once u start going for like 20 feet, put ur a** on the grab bar to get some traction

duke416ex
07-27-2005, 09:34 AM
You can dump in first, but you will have to be in a good position. Like you were talking earlier, just find a place to practice. There is a point that you can pop the clutch and it won't rare up but a bit and it won't choke out. You just have to find a spot. Traction will not be an issue, if it is then something is bad wrong.

On my streetbike I usually leave the line at about 6500-7000 grand and just pop the clutch out, it might rare up bout 6 inches, but then it will just go. That is the spot you are looking for, just sit up on the tank and once you get going, move back and lay down to keep from catching wind.

wilkin250r
07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
The best advice I can give you is to find a spot to practice. Not only that, if this is your first time, don't go out there too seriously. Don't push it too hard, for your first couple of events your goal shouldn't be winning, your goal should be learning.

86350x
07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Strap the front end down, practice taking off. Believe it or not, sometimes you get out of the hole better in first. It depends on where you are drag racing. What the surface is like. I use nylon straps for snowmobiles, Same thing could be done on your quad.