PDA

View Full Version : some ideas for building a track

sampleez
07-26-2005, 07:05 PM
i'm trying to get my dad to let me build a little track at our house. even tho i have access to my uncles racetrack pretty much whenever, it kinda gets old sometimes.

i'm thinking about just a few smaller jumps, a rhythm with a few doubles, maybe a tripple, and a big double for playing w/ freestyle. i would like to have some woops, but their too much upkeep. we've got about an acre of land were not using, and a pretty big case tractor w/ a disk and an 8 foot rhino blade.

i've saw a few people using logs and stuff for filler material. i was thinking about that and i was just wondering how good the wood lasts(decomposing) when it's buried like that?

and the railroad just redid all the crossties on a mile or so of rail right next to my house. i'm gonna try and get a bunch of that to use for filler, cause i'm pretty sure they just wanna get rid of it. and i was thinking it would last a lot longer than just logs, cause it's got creosote(tar) on it. does anyone know if that will keep it from decomposing? cause it would kinda suck to have all the jumps screw up in a few months

or any comments or advise about building a small track

JRP
07-26-2005, 07:45 PM
well when i built my 40ft double on the launch and the landing we used tree branches and logs for the base then we packed them with dirt. We built that about a year ago and then we took it down about a month ago and the wood was in perfect condition.
sounds like your'e gonna have a nice track. i built all my jumps with a shovel.

sampleez
07-26-2005, 08:05 PM
cool. i would bet the crossties will hold up great then.

i was also wondering about getting dirt brought in. i heard someone say that a company that digs swimming pools gave them dirt for free :confused: think that's likely to happen?? cause i sure as he!! ain't gonna pay a crapload for dirt.

250xridamatt
07-26-2005, 08:10 PM
You might as well try. Get out the phone book tomorrow and call a whole bunch of places up.

LsMxRaCeR
07-26-2005, 08:11 PM
what track are you talkin about is it 800mx..

sampleez
07-26-2005, 08:50 PM
West KY MX, in Lowes

yeah i guess i'll try calling a few and see what happens. that would be pretty sweet if someone will.

sampleez
07-27-2005, 09:35 PM
...bump...

any suggestions, ideas, comments, etc... welcome. about the log filler idea, ideas for cool layout, or whatever

250xridamatt
07-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Use the logs on any big jumps. Make it like a supercross track to make the most of your space. Put in a rythem section, some whoops, a nice high berm, a good place to practice starts and a couple big jumps. What you can do all depends on how much dirt you get. Filler will only do so much. All I can say is I wish I had land to ride on or a track to use whenever I wanted.

sampleez
07-27-2005, 10:19 PM
i have the racetrack for doing holeshots. and i'm really wanting to make some whoops...but i don't know, they're a pain in the ***** to make and keep up.